Thinking about buying a mig-welder...

GoldenMotor.com

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
if you want to make/modify frames you can be confident in, its gotta be tig. buy a cheap stick welder to practice, then learn tig. a lot of bicycles are chromoly and using anything but tig will make brittle, dangerous welds because you need precise heat control. tig is also by far the best process for thin material aka bike frames. tig is also the best for aluminum.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I agree. I like to use MIG to tack something together just enought o hold things then move to TIG for the finish welds. TIG is the ultimate machine for precise, strong and good looking welds. Takes some practice but if you can master the technique you'll be years ahead of any other form of welding available to the home/shop welder.
There is some exotic stuff out there but way out of the reach of the average hobbiest.

Tom

Robby

May 18, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I mainly Tig weld. Interestingly, Chromoly was developed in war time specifically for brazing, as the lower temperature wouldn't create embrittlement, and you would have a strong and light airframe or whatever.. The aircraft boys are a little bit more serious with their Tig heat treating of chromoly frames. A lot of old old bikes were brazed together, and some cool custom bikes have clear coat over the bare metal and braze, looks trick!