• replacing the bearings in motor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • laws conserving riding

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
I am getting my kit next week, I have already received my head light stoplight and turn signals, best to be safe. I also bought a pull starter for the engine, so I don't have to bump start. Will be installing a windshield from an motorcycle I sold. I did get an electric starter for $16, but that will be a later project. it will start out as a single speed till I get used to it, then down the line a shift kit.
I have been seeing people on this site are taking there engines apart, how meany have done this and the ones that haven't what issues have they had.
I do believe that a good looking over is good, but is it a need to tear the engine down and even replace the bearings etc. Sounds more like someone is going to enter in a race, blueprinting and such!
In my state of Iowa the DOT will not register or title the bikes, they say too much trouble to do it. they also said they consider the bikes with aftermarket motors a device and don't need a licence.
they told me to go and ride it, But I have ask for a letter concerning that so I can put on my bike.
Also the police said they don't care if the DOT doesn't.
So I will have to see how it turns out, but that said, if it is not registered or titled, then no cc or speed limitations to worry about other than staying within the speed limit of city streets. auflg

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
As long as you ride safely, with a helmet, hopefully a bright vest, never against the flow of traffic or on sidewalks, cops tend to leave ya alone.

As for your bike, always make sure it's in good condition. I inspect mine every week for cracks or anything loose.
Keep all cables and brakes adjusted, tires inflated, watch for valve stem creep on your rims. Use blue Loctite on high-grade fender and rack screws.

Donbia

Mar 2, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Yes that is right, but the other poll how meany people have torn there engines down, out of the box before they install them in there bike, further the ones that just put them in there bikes out of the box after just looking them over, what if any issues have they had. :-||

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan
Hi Donbia; I installed my 66cc engine kit just the way it came out of the box and in the 50 miles that I put on it before winter, I never had a problem with the engine. After this ride, I looked inside the fuel tank and found no dirt or debris like some have on this forum. The problem I have had with the kit, however, is with the chain tensioner wanting to move toward the spokes. I have made one that will be welded to the seat and chain stay in the days ahead that will eliminate this problem forever! I have made and continue to make improvements on my build on this Huffy Stone Mountain bike.

As far as your laws are concerned, like others have said, just be careful and polite and you will probably be okay with most police officers, as they are people too. BMF

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
I looked down the spark plug hole , looked good. The tank looked clean . So on the bike it went. Started right up and it's running great. I did change the plug wire and cap as well as putting in an NGK plug. After I ran it for an hour or so , I let it cool down and re torqued the head bolts. I probably did it all wrong , but so far so good.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
run mine out of the box,with no issues but maybe ive been lucky,chain tensioner- drilled hole, used sheet metal screw and secured it to frame no issues.recomend checking all fasteners reg.,didnt check my sprocket adapter and toasted it,and a brake arm and had to limp it 1/4 mile back home.lucky cause i hardly ever wear brain bucket.no issue with cops, yet,although i do have my motorcycle endorsment and insurance,but on motorized bicycle not needed.

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
Here were I live. The cops always high five and want to look at the bike and know how it works. I've had one try and hit it with a radar gun, after he realized its me he laughed.

On the cities close to me however, the cops arent that understanding. And on one occasion I had one call my attention and told me to stop riding it and then asked me if I even had a motorcycle license. he hushed up when I pulled it out and said "As a matter of fact officer, I do"

After that little encounter I headed to the PD and asked the CO about their rules, she handed me the rule booklet for riding a bicycle....

Lucky enough, havent had any other problems. Ive seen people taking off the pedals to make that chopper look even better, But imo, the pedals is what I think has gotten me out of a couple trouble spots..

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
For the noob with little or no mechanical experience, I don't think you need to go too far into the engine. I have 50+ years experience, and have yet had to split a case apart (except to take pictures for a breakdown tutorial).

http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Chinese HT breakdown/

But what I do coming out of the box is this...
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GcesQihc7-mm3hJGf7UPiqOaRXZ8ekUT99QUZq2qXXE/edit

Many people have mounted the engine out of the box, but I'd rather spend a little more time, and not have to be concerned down the road. The second engine I built was in 3/2009. I have yet put a wrench on it as of today since installed (maybe I'm just lucky ????). First, I didn't do the mods and it's in a box, not due to the manufacturer, but from a aftermarket head gasket that trashed the upper end.