engine sprocket removal

GoldenMotor.com

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
i know ive seen this posted but cant find it. anyway im having trouble removing sprocket from starfire gt3, ive tried heating nut with torch and using rope to stop piston, turning it counter clockwise, but engine continues to turn. reason to remove, is the thin teeth on sprocket alows chain to move side to side hitting the block, im using 415 chain. dont want to use the reg. bike chain that came in kit. not even sure that the spare sprocket i have will even work on the shaft, but need it off to see. also who would have parts for this motor. thanks for any help.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
i know ive seen this posted but cant find it. anyway im having trouble removing sprocket from starfire gt3, ive tried heating nut with torch and using rope to stop piston, turning it counter clockwise, but engine continues to turn. reason to remove, is the thin teeth on sprocket alows chain to move side to side hitting the block, im using 415 chain. dont want to use the reg. bike chain that came in kit. not even sure that the spare sprocket i have will even work on the shaft, but need it off to see. also who would have parts for this motor. thanks for any help.

The reason you keep turning the shaft, as you have used rope is that you are working against the clutch and it slips. To remove the nut, insert a piece of SOFT material (I use a rod bearing from a car) between the large and small gears on the clutch side. This will bind the engine.There are no threads on any gear or the magnet. Use the PROPER tool in above reply.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I made a special tool with a piece of stock chain attached to a lever, to lock the sprocket in order to unbolt the sprocket nut.

To lock the gears on the clutch side I've found that a penny stuck between the pinion, and clutch gear works well.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I made a special tool with a piece of stock chain attached to a lever, to lock the sprocket in order to unbolt the sprocket nut.

To lock the gears on the clutch side I've found that a penny stuck between the pinion, and clutch gear works well.
Penny (as everyone has them) works just as good. I could never see making a tool as it wouldn't be used enough to justify.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
thanks,ive brought my 3/8 snap-on impact home from work ill try later this evening or in morning.and i do have the clutch puller tool,but i may use a gear puller from my buddy.it is counter clockwise to remove the nut and not reverse threads right? not enough of my eyesight left to see thread direction,getting old no fun. thanks for all the help,this is great forum for advise on building motor bicycles.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
thanks,ive brought my 3/8 snap-on impact home from work ill try later this evening or in morning.and i do have the clutch puller tool,but i may use a gear puller from my buddy.it is counter clockwise to remove the nut and not reverse threads right? not enough of my eyesight left to see thread direction,getting old no fun. thanks for all the help,this is great forum for advise on building motor bicycles.
None of the threads are reverse.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
yea, i figured it out,lefty loosey,got the retainer nut off,with socket and few wacks with screw driver, cause i forgot my 3/8 sockets for my impact at work ,but threads in sprocket need cleaned in order to get puller threaded on.work on that later.but unless the drive shaft is tapered, then the sprocket i have wont work,its larger dia. then end of the shaft. so i guess ill be lookin for a 415 sprocket to fit on my starefire motor,oh well thats that.its late here im out. thanks for the input.