My back wheel bearing exploded!

GoldenMotor.com

artcfartc

Aug 17, 2011
Oak Cliff, TX (Dallas)
While driving my Op Cruiser home from work at about 30mph, my back wheel locked up. Thankfully I didn't eat it, and no-one was driving behind me. I'm also very lucky that my wife answered the phone and came to rescue me so I didn't have to carry my bike all the way home. I first thought that the chain had jammed, or the clutch had gone out, but no, one of the bearings in the back wheel exploded or melted (see pic). I had only been going 30mph off and on for about 10 minutes. Has this happened to anyone else?

I replaced the back wheel with a '60's Bendix brake cruiser wheel knowing that it would take more abuse, but I'm still a little scared of using my bike for transportation. Are there any more measures I should take to insure that this NEVER happens again?

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Lucky you didn't go dirt-tracking down the road like I did when mine locked do to pull brake wedging between the frame and tire. Glad you're all right!

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
About the only thing I can think of is to repack the bearing often. Keep a close eye on it until you get an idea of how often you need to repack it. Your back wheel and my front brake & fork. No fun is it!

Terry

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
I noticed that your using bearing cages. If you get rid of the cages and free float your bearings you'll never run into that problem again, just make sure that you pack it well with good quaility bearing grease and you should be ok. Thats what i do with all of my rear wheel bearings, never had a failure yet with that system.

xct2 cflg

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
I noticed that your using bearing cages. If you get rid of the cages and free float your bearings you'll never run into that problem again, just make sure that you pack it well with good quaility bearing grease and you should be ok. Thats what i do with all of my rear wheel bearings, never had a failure yet with that system.

xct2 cflg
Whered you source the free floating bearings?

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
You just remove the bearings from the cages and put them in the races,but make sure that you pack grease in the races first then place the bearings in after because the grease will hold the bearings in place. Then place your axel through and after that your cones and you should be good to go. I guess the term is bearings that ride with out a bearing cage are often called free floating bearings.

xct2 cflg

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I have a o/p that has over 600 miles on it with no wheel bearing problems, I cleaned and repacked the bearings with a very high quality industrial grease called alithicon. We have used at work for about 20 years now, it keeps bearing failures down because it lowers the temp. of the bearing.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Loose ball, but leave one out. Check the races for wear, adjust preload carefully then check again for play after mounted on the bike.

In the original pic of the failed bearings, the grease looks pretty contaminated. At the speeds I see some talking about riding I'm surprised this isn't happening more often.

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
I had that happen to my rear wheel last summer , it REALLY sucked! Now greasing the wheel bearings is on my preventative maintinence list. Once a month I clean and pack the bearings, clean the air cleaner , etc. No problems since. I've been using a blue wheel bearing grease by Mag1. It's waterproof and works well.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
That's awful. Glad you are ok. I think it may be possible that the cones were too tight in your wheel. I agree, loose-ball bearings are good, no cage to deform or interfere. The cages are used to simplify assembly and maintenance, since coasters are generally used on low speed bikes that won't see a lot of use or maintenance.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
The bike was made to go 15-20 tops. They put some brown stuff on the bearings that could be grease. Very little of it . I call china bearings buckshot, they go boom! I'm gald it was the back wheel. Check your wheel bearings often. Like every week! You don't it can be E.R. time. (c)

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
Whoooo Hoooo! bet that scared ya.
Now THATS a catastrophic bearing failure!
I gotta hand it to ya... when you break stuff you do it with style.
I agree with Whelan, loose the bearing cages and use high quality grease.
Was it a coaster brake hub? those generate alot of heat.
FR