homemade fenders

GoldenMotor.com

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
so i decided i was getting tired of getting soaked in wet streets so i made some fenders out of a 2 liter plasic bottle and a milk jug

now my front fenders are completly made of plastic but i used a rear rack for the rear fender and added a peice of milk jug for added protection cause the rear fender didnt cover the tire completly

on the front i cut the 2 litter bottle in half then cut the bottom and top out of one of the halfs for the frame fender and the other half i cut the bottom off and the top i left a little curve in there i mounted them with zip ties and punced holes in with a hole office hole punch i beleive these will stand up to vibration and if somehow they get jammed in the tire well hopefully they are flexable enough to not lock the front tire i really dont see that happening anyway they are very sturdy especially with the curve in the fork mounted one

now for the rear fender was very simple i cut out a peice of milk jug to fit and zip tied it on then bent a little edge up on the bottom in case it hit the tire it would just rub and not get caught even if it did get caught it would just bend in and rub the tire theres no way it would jamm the rear tire

just giving people ideas if any of you think these would be unsafe let me know i they seem perfectly fine to me

if i thpught these were unsafe i woudnt have put them on and it didnt cost anything i had zipties and plastic bottles

Attachments

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
They look pretty safe to me. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you aren't concerned about looks, then this is a great idea. Nice thinking.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
when your legs and back are wet looks dont matter much

i know they dont look all that great but the do the job and this aint a show bike its a transpsortation bike i hope others give it a try and reprot back its so simple to make

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
That's a good idea for something quick and simple. It sucks getting wet streaks up the back, it just adds to the cold.

Hey, how do you find riding around on regular knobbies in the snow? I was thinking of doing some home-made studs this winter. But I'm starting to think studs are just for ice.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i find riding with regular tires very scary if i had the cash i would invest in some nokian studded tires with carbide studs i have seen those in action any they are amazing i saw a guy stop on ice at a red light and put his legs down to balence the bike and slip cause he didnt know it was icy i i think i gotta get a job now to buy a set

if you get a nice set of studded tires carbide studs they will last several seasons and are well worth it

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
That's a good idea. Surprisingly, soda bottles can be made to look well finished with some Krylon spray paint. My air filter cover was made from a soda bottle and painted with metallic silver paint.
The other day I was thinking about making fenders from sections of old Hot Wheels track.