Slipping Clutch

GoldenMotor.com

Hicksy

Jul 1, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
I'm just about at my witts end with this.

I adjusted the clutch correctly Oh about 20 times and every time it starts slipping after I first release it to start the motor.

I sprayed some WD40 down the hole where the flower nut rides (bad mistake) and it dribbled out with centrigical force onto the plate.

I've cleaned all the pucks with Metholated Spirits, both sides, cleaned up the face plate, and the backing plate where I could reach it behind the pucks, made sure the clutch was adjusted correctly, even incorrectly, just to try something different.

I did notice that when it does slip the flower nut touches the inside of the outside case but has not unwound as the Locktite hasn't moved. Is something loose inside to cause this or are the pucks now impregnated with oil and unusable.

Hicksy

Jul 1, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
Mine are the squarish shaped ones...

One thought I had was that after removing the pucks, cleaning them and then reinserting them they may be different heights so not all of them would be touching the plate ie bedding them in...

I'll try and clean with Brake and Clutch clean and get back to you all to let you know what happens...

If not, I'll just replace the pucks...

BTW, I had a look at the OTHER MB site for answers and have to say that this site stands head and shoulders above that one in the way it's ordered and run.

I'm a moderator on Swaylock's - Surfboard Marketplace, Surfboard Design, Surfboard Construction, Surfboard Manufacture, Surfboard Art, Surfboard History so I know a great site when I see one. Well done people, keep up the good work.....

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Try using some heavy sandpaper to rough up the pressure plates!!
I did this to my "bomber bike" & it hasn't slipped since!
Be sure you are adjusting the pressure plate correctly!!!

Hicksy

Jul 1, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
OK finally found out what the problem/s were...

I roughed up the pressure plate and cleaned all the pucks with brake cleaner.... several times...

I had roughed up the pucks to try and get them to grip. This attempt caused them to be uneven with the face of the pressure plate so that only 4 or 5 of the 15 were touching at any one time. This was causing the slippage...

So the roughened up PP bedded down the tall tops and now they are all even and gripping...

Runs like a dream now, thanks to all for your help...