Road bike with friction drive?

GoldenMotor.com

ueyteuor

May 28, 2010
California
Hi. I am planning on building my first motor bicycle - I have the Robin Subaru EH035 in mind... friction drive. I am also planning on having it be a road bike... Is this an okay idea? Anyone have experience with a friction driven road bike wheel? Thanks.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I don't use a friction drive but have heard that the primary downfall is wet roads. As soon as the tires get wet. The friction drive spins fine but the tire goes nowhere. Have you considered the 2stroke motors?

ueyteuor

May 28, 2010
California
I have read around that those are some common problems... My second choice is the Staton chain drive... which I might stretch out my budget and go for that if it's really worth it... I haven't considered 2 stroke just because I read how reliable the Robin Subaru engines are... Would a 2 stroke have any advantages?

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I have had my 80cc. Flying Horse two stroke for over two years I ride it about 35 miles everyday I live in the boonies of Sc. I love my MB and would be really bummed if I lost it. I bought the lowest cost kit I could find with the intention of running it into the ground. Low and behold two years later I'm still riding the same kit on the same bike LOL. I am going to buy another kit from one of the vendors here in the forum They are all trustworthy and dependable. I have never seen another like mine other than on the internet. So for me to give an opinion about any other kit would not be right. But I would not write off the two stroke engines.

Oysterville

Apr 20, 2010
Ocean Park, WA
The one downside that I have read to putting a motor on a road bike is the gross lack of suspension. Could make for quite a bumpy and jittery ride. Another possible consideration is the width of the road bike tire. Not a lot of meat, usually, for the roller to grab.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I'm interested to hear how this goes. I was interested to put a roller drive on a 700c bike. If you are not going to try to ride it like a motorcycle, I expect you could do ok if you are used to a road bike anyway. I think it would be a great ultra-light vehicle, but you might have to stock up on some fat 700c tires, whatever will fit in your frame. Some "touring bikes" from the 80's and these new "hybrid" bikes will take a pretty fat tire, like 700x35. Try some out in the store if possible, or buy $10 ones you can give your friends.

The good thing about this is if it doesn't work well on my "10 speed" I can just move it to another bike, like my wife's.