Choke mods

GoldenMotor.com

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
ok after nearly falling over on my bike while riding this morning (mostly due to my lack of coordination) as i was messing with the choke, i feel its time to develop a modification for the choke that allows you to control it from the handlebars. it would make cold starts so much easier. i have some ideas in my head and my staurday is free so im going to give it a try then but what do you guys think? any ideas? tips? im relatively new to MBs but not motors so im hoping to make something functional and rugged.

I will post any pics of my developments this weekend!

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I don't imagine it being to hard just finding a way to attach a cable and springs, could ever take the choke off of a mower for the lever, but I think it is a great Idea and I have not seen that done on one of these yet.

cnodie1

Jan 27, 2010
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I don't imagine it being to hard just finding a way to attach a cable and springs, could ever take the choke off of a mower for the lever, but I think it is a great Idea and I have not seen that done on one of these yet.
I didnt even think of springs haha. And you are right I have looked through so many pictures of MBs on here and havent seen a choke mod

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I didnt even think of springs haha. And you are right I have looked through so many pictures of MBs on here and havent seen a choke mod
I know that the CNS Carb has some type of handle bar mounted choke. Maybe you could get you hands on one of those and see how the choke works since everything else on that carb is probably useless.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I know that the CNS Carb has some type of handle bar mounted choke. Maybe you could get you hands on one of those and see how the choke works since everything else on that carb is probably useless.

The "remote choke" for the CNS is actually just a single older style 10 speed shifter (small lever next to GPS);

By drilling a small hole in the NT's choke lever & adding a spring and cable stop, any small shifter could easily be made into a remote choke actuator.

Oh and BTW, my CNS works jus' fine thanks :D but FYI the choke itself is a internal plunger type, totally different than the NT's baffle style.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
When you start your engine let the bike idle and warm for a minute then put the choke down,then take off and ride it, thats all there is to it.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The "remote choke" for the CNS is actually just a single older style 10 speed shifter (small lever next to GPS);

By drilling a small hole in the NT's choke lever & adding a spring and cable stop, any small shifter could easily be made into a remote choke actuator.

Oh and BTW, my CNS works jus' fine thanks :D but FYI the choke itself is a internal plunger type, totally different than the NT's baffle style.

Are you saying your choke is an enrichment circuit? I think you are.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Nice (^)

That's a sweet mod man, I love usin' the remote choke fer a kill switch too (aftermarket throttle has no button) and although a two stroke outa be fully warmed up before taking off - sometimes I'm jus' a lil too late for work for that and it's nice to be able to adjust the choke "on the fly" so to speak :D

billragland

Aug 14, 2010
Springvale, ME
I have that carbureter and the choke control is not very attachment friendly. The choke cable is too short to reach the handlebars and I had to rig it ineffectively to the the large top bar on my Micargi bicycle. I am very interested in finding a handlebar choke control that will take the barrel shaped end of the cable for use on my new Dellorto carb.

BB