New guy with new motor

GoldenMotor.com

Flight Risk

Jan 25, 2010
Hello, I'm an older dude in Colorado. I just ordered a Grubee 48cc and am looking forward to motoring around. I have 5 old bikes, but may buy a new Cruizer type. I'm wondering if coaster brakes are adequate, afterall that is what all the original Whizzers used. I guess a front brake can be put on most anything.

Rod S

brnot

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Many seem to like the rear coaster - but you've got the right idea, gettin' a front brake is very wise ;)

Depending on what style yer after I'd recommend a disk or drum, the drum may be somewhat easier & even cheaper (depending on what you've got for hardware) despite needing to have the wheel relaced.

I've Sturmey Archer drums (front's a dyno and rear's a 3speed) but just the drum hub can be had for about $50 Sturmey-Archer X-FD - Google Product Search

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good morning and welcome. Always good to see more Colorado bikers joining us. A lot of guys run just a rear coaster and seem to do just fine but the added assurance of a front brake would be a good idea, especially where we live. Ain't much flat ground around my parts. Keep us informed on the progress of your build and there's plenty of help here if/when you need it.
Tom

Last edited:

Flight Risk

Jan 25, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I can't wait to get going on this. Good riding weather will be here before we know it.

Rod S