tickler

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I noticed several people say they never use the tickler and after opening up my carb for the first time I can see why...I thought it might work like old carbs on cars did squirting a bit of gas to prime the engine...hence pump the peddle 3X to start. My question is if the thing is basically useless and from what I have gathered air leaks are a problem isn't this a source for an air leak in the system?

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
It pushes the float down to let the carb overfill. So you get a temp rich shot of gas. I use it and don't ever use the choke. As far as vacuum goes it's just venting the carb bowl so it's not a engine vacuum loss. For me it's a push for 1-2 count then start.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I know if I flood the engine it is really hard to get started and if you hold the tickle button too long that's what happens.

longhorn6

Sep 2, 2009
Richardson, TX
My bike hates choke i put the choke on and it boogs LOL it doesn't even need it i have had no problems.................................. fires up with pedal start and idle screw in 3 and a half turns out goes when release the clutch and away i goooooo

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Those who push the tickler a few times are displaying a lack of understanding of how it works. Holding it down fills the bowl.. I "tickle" maybe once a year.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I use it in the English way....I "tickle the carb" to lightly flood the float chamber, inducing a little raw gasoline to the intake. Two strokes are pretty hard to flood, and like a lot of "extra" gasoline when starting from dead cold.

You do have to use a bit of finesse with it.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
good call, thanks for explaining proper tickle procedures.

because, my bike is starting to get a bit cold blooded on the real snappers. it actually has to be driven off on choke if i dont warm it up right...

Mrakulous

Mar 9, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I use it when I've taken the carb off and drained it. Not much though. It helps fill the bowl up. That way I dont have to try to pedal start it more than I have to. I hate my carb though.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
i tried to start my bike today using the tickler instead of choking it...i saw someone on this thread said they were able to do this...didnt work...i had to choke it...thought id give it a shot though

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
My bike starts either way. The problem with the choke on mine is by the time I get stopped and turn off the choke the motor dies and takes 2-3 trys to get going cause it's slightly flooded. Using the tickler to start takes a little experimentation to get right. For my bike it's a count of one, two. then let go and start it first try. If it's flooding hold it for less time. If you have to use the choke anyway hold it down a little longer. Or don't use it at all. It really just a preference thing.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
ive always been able to reach down and feel around for the choke lever with out problems...pop the clutch to start...get a couple pops...put the clutch in and open the choke...vvvvrrrrooommmm

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
the one consistent thing about chinese carbs (and moters) is their inconsistentcy.
i am retired and make a good 'support' income installing the kmotors into the cusomers bike, i've installeed over 30 of them now.
i have NEVER found two carbs ecactly the sam.. each carb will have its own 'sweet spot' and method for starting.
some carbs will not start unless you put the choke all the way up, then down about 1/2 inch. after warming up for a few minuts turn the choke full off.
many, when cold, need 2 or 3 tickles and will start in 3 or 4 pedal cranks every time, no choke.
here in north florida the temp can go below 20 degrees. on my carb i have to hold down the tickler until gas runs out the bottom, set the choke as above, and it will start in 15 feet.
i have tried this method with other bikes and it took two blocks to start.
you have to experiment with yours and find what woorks best for you.
if you change carbs it will change.

good luck

stay dey
gubba

Last edited: