problems with coil...? !#*

GoldenMotor.com

skbd

It's been a while since I've been here so I hope I'm not repeating an already asked Question. I'm sure someone knows what could make a coil go bad. My bike "80cc" two stroke had an evolving spark problem, it would intermittently stop running, only being turned over by forward motion . For a while this was occassional but eventually lost all spark. I pirated a coil off one of my other engines but now it has begun doing the same thing. It took a lot less time to happen this time. The engine has 2000+ miles,and the coil I removed looked slightly oily. I wondered if oil on the coil could impede the electrical function? There are no obvious leaks that could direct oil onto the coil so I just don't know . Any input from the real pros would be much appreciated. thanks John

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Don't know if this is the answer to your question or not but if with the spark plug out, as in checking for spark while cranking engine over, you don't ground/touch the spark plug to the engine while doing this it will let all the smoke out of the CDI. This hasn't been proven, but is generally accepted as fact. Hope this helps Walter F.