Clutch Question?

GoldenMotor.com

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
Hey. Well i took off my clutch plate today to put a little bit of grease on the teeth to see if it would make the engine a little quieter. I found a bit of clutch dust? in the cover. Is this normal (see picture)??

Also in the other picture i think there is a screw missing?? Is there where the hole is supposed to be 1?

Thanks in advence.

Duncan S

Attachments

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
wash your hands after messing with the clutch.
that dust is asbestos fibers from the clutch pads. yes its normal.
yes, there is supposed to be s screw there, to hold the flower nut in place. without it, it can loosen your clutch will slip

Butch K

May 9, 2008
Princeton, MN
Hey. Well i took off my clutch plate today to put a little bit of grease on the teeth to see if it would make the engine a little quieter. I found a bit of clutch dust? in the cover. Is this normal (see picture)??

Also in the other picture i think there is a screw missing?? Is there where the hole is supposed to be 1?

Thanks in advence.

Duncan S
There is supposed to be the one screw as shown in your picture. The other threaded hole is usually empty.

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
thanks spun out and butch. What about the grease if it ok to grease up the teeth to quiet down the noise?
Is it a good idear to get another screw to put into that hole for strength?

Last edited:

Brains

Jul 21, 2008
Adelaide Australia
Hey Brisbane Boy,

If your going to place grease ensure its only a dab, as you dont want it getting into yur clutch plate, I find placing a rubber sheath affixed to the outer side of the clutch housing will quiten the noise down, to see what I mean when your riding place your palm against the clutch housing & you will notice a lot quiter opperation, in Australia its illegal to use any asbestos in the manufacturing of clutches, the ones I use are inert organic clutch disks, they are round in liu of square tabs & and coloured pink, its a fact that most engines I have played with in Australia have the square tabs & they are asbestos!!

Cheers
Brains

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
thanks for that brains. I will try that. yer it probly is aspestos. As long as not to many ppl find out we will be ok. I use to work griding the stuff in south africa and im still good. People are just geting soft these days.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
Bris
Go to a marine shop and get a tube of marine greese. Green in color and real sticky. Sticks to the gears real good and does not fly around near as much. If your no where near a marine shop, shop around and the greese will say on it extra sticky. You'll know it when you find it because it will be at least 3 times as sticky as regular greese.....POPS

perplexium

Oct 21, 2008
Irvine
I put bearing grease into my clutch and now about 2 months later its slipping?? Is this cause its splattered all over the clutch pads or do these things just wear out? Thanks for the help and if you know how to take it apart as to clean it please post as well.

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
hey perplex... Well i hav put a tiny bit of grease in there. Havent had any slipping YET. Im not sure havent had any experiance changing clutch pads on these.
Maby some1 who has will be able to help u.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
It could just need an adjustment Perplexium. Just search "adjust clutch", it's very easy and you don't really need to take much apart. The grease tends to fly outwards so unless you put a handful of grease in there, you should be fine.