New shift kit- some problems!!

GoldenMotor.com

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Hello everyone- I just bought a hd shift kit(the new version) from SBP. Of course, I had problems.

First of all, I have a standard american bike, nothing special or custom.
The installation went wonderful, but when I first rode it, It went well until a higher gear. Then, the chain popped off, and after putting it back on, it popped again, this time breaking.

While fixin' the chain, we noticed the bearing plate was bent. We fixed that, put everything back together, aligned and tightened the chains, and tested it again. Guess what happened? The chain snapped again. Believe it or not, I was gettin' just a tad frustrated.

We redid everything, and noticed something funny- the engine chain was getting really tight for some reason. We loosened it by grinding the engine down a bit, and reattached everything. It got tight sometimes, and loose sometimes- I think when tightening down the engine, something changes the chain tension.

Today, I took off the right crank, put longer bolts in the two lower sprockets, and had it spaced with two nuts(one more nut than normal). It rides like a normal bike, so at least the bottom end of the kit is working. But when I went to put on the jackshaft chain, I lost the masterlink clip- of course. But, I could tell that in higher gear, the chains will be 2-3mm apart.

Hopefully tomorrow, I'll get that chain on, and see how things run. If anyone could enlighten me about these befuddling problems, I'd be mighty happy!!

Thanks a bunch!!

Last edited:

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
they are a bit of a pain thats for sure! the tightning and loosning of the motor chain is due to poor quality. buy a 415 hd kmc chain and should solve that prob.

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Alright- I went back and did some more work, and tried the engine again( i found the master link). It ran pretty normal, but now it seems that whenever I shift down or maybe let off the throttle, the chain pops off again. I'm getting close to figuring this out! Thanks to Ghost0(Jim) for the quick responses to my endless emails!!

Goatherder- I'm pretty sure the chain doesn't have a stiff link or anything- each time it was tighter or looser, it was seated on the sprockets right- something must be shifting the jackshaft plates somehow.

taco- I plan on buying a new chain- when mine is unusable ;) It'll be a good quality one.

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Are you using the "Jump Stop" that came in the kit? I seem to remember someone saying they had problems with their chain coming off until they put that on.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I kept losing my pedal chain when I removed the front derailer so I could use the shifter for my clutch. I put the derailer back on and problem solved. but that was with no shiftkit, so when I so the "jump stop" in the parts catalog I knew exactly what it was for, to keep the chain on your pedal sprockets....

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Are you using the "Jump Stop" that came in the kit? I seem to remember someone saying they had problems with their chain coming off until they put that on.
Indeed, at least my stock bike chain had problems with chain jump and the 'Jump Stop' that came in my earlier design kit helped some...

I still had issues with the Jackshaft chain hitting the motor on my 'crank forward' bike so I put a couple of washers in between the freewheel and drive sprocket and that really helped with the 'chain slap' you can get between two chains so close...

The added space between chains helped, and all you have to do is move the gear on the Jackshaft out a bit...

But that still didn't keep the chain from wanting to jump inside on those 'gear change slack' times however and the beating finally took out the stock 'Regular Z chain' the bike came with it.

I still had to replace the bike chain with a heavy duty KMC 4101 Z chain to solve it (crosses fingers, just put it on today) and so far a world of difference for $15.

I think I posted other pics of it in this topic here
http://motorbicycling.com/f3/giant-3-speed-suede-w-jackshaft-19916.html

If not, I will be adding every detail with pics on my spiffy new My Bike forum topic here
KC's Kruisers - Motorized Bike Forum - KC`s 3-Speed Luxury Ride

I hope that helps considering despite the mechanical problems I love having gears, even if it is only 3.
That and how much better gas mileage and quite riding I get when I let off the gas and coast full speed at idle without the clutch ;-}

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
not meaning to sound like a prick, but wouldn't spending the $15 on a good length of stronger quality chain from the Tractor Supply Co be a simple proactive measure to lessen the chance of something going catastrophically wrong while riding? I had similar chain issues on my stretch cruiser and those all cleared up once I bought a good chain..

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone for the help! The problem isn't with my bike chain- it's with the jackshaft chain.
What KCvale said makes sense- I think the problem might be with chain slack. I'll email Ghost0 those pics and see what he has to say...

Here's the pics of my kit so far!!

Attachments

mixxmilkk1

Apr 30, 2010
Mpls Minnesota
Hello everyone- I just bought a hd shift kit(the new version) from SBP. Of course, I had problems.

The installation went wonderful, but when I first rode it, It went well until a higher gear. Then, the chain popped off, and after putting it back on, it popped again, this time breaking.

While fixin' the chain, we noticed the bearing plate was bent. We fixed that, put everything back together, aligned and tightened the chains, and tested it again. Guess what happened? The chain snapped again. Believe it or not, I was gettin' just a tad frustrated.

We redid everything, and noticed something funny- the engine chain was getting really tight for some reason. We loosened it by grinding the engine down a bit, and reattached everything. It got tight sometimes, and loose sometimes- I think when tightening down the engine, something changes the chain tension.

Today, I took off the right crank, put longer bolts in the two lower sprockets, and had it spaced with two nuts(one more nut than normal). It rides like a normal bike, so at least the bottom end of the kit is working. But when I went to put on the jackshaft chain, I lost the masterlink clip- of course. But, I could tell that in higher gear, the chains will be 2-3mm apart.

Hopefully tomorrow, I'll get that chain on, and see how things run. If anyone could enlighten me about these befuddling problems, I'd be mighty happy!!

Thanks a bunch!!
Whats up Stevo? First off, my question would be, did you buy the HD kits? Or did you go with the standard kit?. If you went with the standard kit, then thats your problem. There not designed for the 66cc/80cc eng. kits. I went with the standard kit also , so i fill your pain :(. so i had to order the HD crankshaft cartridge, and HD freewheel. And the other problem
you're going to have is engine torque/twist, so mounting your engine tight might prove useful. Well anyway, i unlike a lot of people, is pushing 3.2 hp, because i had my engine horned and balancedfor less friction, and better air flow.. another thing is, i hope you used the botton chain tentioner on the shift kit. I key to keeping you chain tight. Hit me back if this helps. !!!MIXXMILKK!!! OH! Heres pics. of my twon builds, and a third is on the way, my friend think i should do a tandom bike next. What do you think?

Attachments

mixxmilkk1

Apr 30, 2010
Mpls Minnesota

Thanks a bunch!!
Whats up Stevo? First off, my question would be, did you buy the HD kits? Or did you go with the standard kit?. If you went with the standard kit, then thats your problem. There not designed for the 66cc/80cc eng. kits. I went with the standard kit also , so i fill your pain :(. so i had to order the HD crankshaft cartridge, and HD freewheel. And the other problem
you're going to have is engine torque/twist, so mounting your engine tight might prove useful. Well anyway, i unlike a lot of people, is pushing 3.2 hp, because i had my engine horned and balancedfor less friction, and better air flow.. another thing is, i hope you used the botton chain tentioner on the shift kit. I key to keeping you chain tight. Hit me back if this helps. !!!MIXXMILKK!!! OH! Heres pics. of my second builds, and a third is on the way, my friend think i should do a tandom bike next. What do you think?

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
mixxmilkk1- Hello- I did buy an HD kit- I figured with the big hills and pulling a cart I would need it. I did install the chain tensioner- but flipped it so that you adjust it by moving the top ones and locking them together.(I couldn't reach the bottom ones w/ a wrench.)

Anyway- that's a nice build-looks solid- is there something around the exhaust pipe?

There will be a challenge in the making of a tandem bike shifter kit, but the forum might have some answers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost0 found one problem with my kit- I put the big sprocket on the inside of the freewheel- not the outside, so that's fixed, I'm now awaiting his response to if I did anything else wrong.

Also- The bearing mount plate bent, so Ghost0 is shipping me a new one tomorrow- I really like this kind of business!! For anyone reading this- the problems with this kit are from me not following directions right- the kit is excellent quality and the customer service is great!

Thanks for reading!