cranbrooks suck

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have lived on a bike all my life.

I remember the old Bullshot bearing grease [for bicycles] said right on the tube good at one bearing packing to go coast to coast [ocean to ocean]here in the states. It would too. They don't make it any more I guess can't find it.

I used Majestic red automotive grease forever it may not be the best stuff. Funny I don't think they make it anymore ether. I got some left. Valvoline makes something just like it that is the same color. That is what I pack my hubs with now.

But I gotta say as a Auto mechanic this stuff is very hardy. The cars we use this stuff in and the fleet trucks It weathered very nicely. I can make the brakes on my own cars last forever. After 10 years with a GMC Serria pick up truck I had to put new front pads on because they were simply glazed. I think it was longer than that.

I had done a great many high speed state to state interstate high ways run with this truck. Course when I pack rotors on a car I pack them enough to sweat out the seals a bit. I get them full. That grease did its job I tell ya it was defiantly time to repack the bearings . Guess what? The bearings were perfect no pitting on the races everything was fine. I reused the seals too.

So what I am getting at is oh I don't know lost track. I recon the the coaster break hub needs to be taken apart and cleaned? All the crumbs from the internal brake?

I have not worked on one since I was a kid. I am a free wheel hub guy my self. Ever since the BMX days and all the stunts the only hub I want to use is a free wheel hub, cassette whatever.

While for me a rear hub will wear out sooner than a front [Spokes]. I have some sealed cartage unit front hubs with 20,000 miles on them. I have not done anything to them. They still work. I put them aside and ran new wheels becuase I was bored with them.

I say with a make shift grease cert stop worrying about it.:)

Get your cone wrenches out set the hub bearing end play perfect then simply leave it alone.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Use a set of cone wrenches....cheap enough to make the
"investment".

Check and true the wheels, then after you zip tie them, balance them!

I have zip tied the spokes on most of my builds and it does help the firmness of the wheel so to speak.
Hi Joe,

Im going right now and buy some "toys" (cone wrenchs)
- "park tools" from the local bs. I love the bs. :) lol
Also, im going to dream a little dream and see what bikes they have.

Then im going to the local true value/ace hardware and upgrade some nuts/bolts/washers.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi again Joe,

I got the Park Tool USA SCW-15 !!! Sweet blue handle! Weeeeee!!! LOL :)

I went to one of the 2 local bs and got one for $8.00 used, in "ok" condition (some signs of wear). They were going to get me a new one for $12.00, said I needed it right away, and sold me one of the shops used.

(i just searched ebay, and the go for $9.50 - $15.00 shipping included)

OK, so today I:
a. bought a "new toy" (new to me at least)
b. dreamed a little dream (window shopped at the 2 local bs)
Beeeeeautiful bikes... Cannondale...Trek...29ers my first time seeing them in person...gary fischers... Sun Atlas... saw this attachment xtremecycles.com? that extends a bike and provides a rear rack that can support a 2nd rider up to 110 lbs.

Ohh yeah... the thread... yes, cranbrooks might suck.
(Disclaimer: I am a cranbrook owner)

Now, tomorrow im going to play with my new toy. :)

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
When the guys here say 'you get what you pay for' they ain't kiddin'. My 9th and latest build is a Worksman Cruiser ordered w/ thorn resistant tubes / Kevlar belted tires. Titan 50/ BMP friction drive. Factory installed S/A drum brake and Sunlite Springer fork. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely. I've also built five Cranbrooks. They just don't hold up w/o lots of maintenance.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
When the guys here say 'you get what you pay for' they ain't kiddin'. My 9th and latest build is a Worksman Cruiser ordered w/ thorn resistant tubes / Kevlar belted tires. Titan 50/ BMP friction drive. Factory installed S/A drum brake and Sunlite Springer fork. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely. I've also built five Cranbrooks. They just don't hold up w/o lots of maintenance.[/QUOTE

Worksman ... simply the best.
Was the vendor Justin at Pirate Cycles? $550.00 plus ship?

Thank you. :)

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi all here is a pic of my huffy santa fe. it has 1400 miles on it and not a problem with it. motor cracked a block the other day, it was a bad casting so i will order a new block and put her back together. and ride baby ride!!!xct2usflg

ps. i paid $25 for it at a yard sale.

Attachments

Last edited: