starting my first project soon

GoldenMotor.com

goat88

Jun 11, 2010
kansas
i stumbled upon the motorized bikes a couple weeks back and they fascinated me, i have a 26" roadmaster mountain bike and have ordered the flying horse engine kit from bikeberry, i found a thread in here of someone who did the same thing with a roadmaster bike but had some issues with the fitting, from the dimensions shown on bikeberry it looks like everything will clear it, any thoughts, opinions, and advice about this build would be appreciated, kit should be here by next week cant wait to start :)

Flounder

May 26, 2010
Jacksonville Beach
I just finished my first build, here's my 2 cents. lol ... Down load your kit instructions and read them three time's to get familiar with the kit.. Then search the forum for "Blue printing motors or dressing the motor" 2 important things dont overlook during your build.. 1st make sure the motor is plumb to the bike frame..If it is tilted your drive sprocket will not be true with the rear sprocket.. Throwing your chain out of alignment.. 2nd Make sure to put on the chain tensioner on tight ..If its not snug and your chain comes off it can whip it down into your spokes and trash the rear wheel... Chain and sprocket alignment is a must.. If its making a clicking noise, then its probably not aligned... when you mount the motor test fit it first and if your happy use some self penetrating thread locker on the nuts
"I used the green stuff" but not till your ready.. I also adjusted my carb throttle cable before I put it on.. Run the cable for your throttle like you want it, then adjust it till you get a little more then an 1/8th gap for the sliding barrel inside the carb. Also Dont forget to clean out the tank if it needs it and invest in a cheap paper gas filter for extra protection.... Well there's my newbie crash course .. I hope it helps.

1st build link http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=51452

air filter mod link http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=19783

goat88

Jun 11, 2010
kansas
ok well i got everything put together, got it running nicely, only two major issues, the throttle cable will not move out on its own unless i pull the cable out, and the kill switch does not work, i dont know why the throttle doesnt go in and out on its own but im sure the killswitch doesnt work because i had to chop the spark plug cap off and hard wire it to the plug for clearance purposes, any ideas on either issue?

Flounder

May 26, 2010
Jacksonville Beach
Did you lube the cable? I had to adjust the throttle cable out.. To give it some spring back..Make sure it flows nice also.No tight bends and such..... Kill switch I grounded mine to the cdi bolt and not to the frame.. Make sure its grounded correctly..If it is check for broken wires.. Wires shoud be blu to blu blk to blk and wht to red/wht..
some pics would be nice.. Hope that helps.

goat88

Jun 11, 2010
kansas
thanks, i have the ground cable hooked up right now, gonna have pics up as soon as i can, theres only one issue im still having with the bike, the throttle doesnt seem to do anything for my ride, the cable moves up and down in the carb and it fires up and gets up to a certain speed but i cant make the bike go slower or faster by using the throttle, it goes just one speed

goat88

Jun 11, 2010
kansas
thanks for the help guys, got the throttle fixed, turns out i had it on wrong and got it adjusted properly as well, gonna get pics put up today

goat88

Jun 11, 2010
kansas
ok well i cant figure out how to put pics up but i do have another concern of my bike, i was driving it around for a while today and on the way home it started to backfire and died on me, is this possibly because the engine was overheating? the spark plug was secured tightly and so were the head bolts, ive also noticed that when the rpms reach a high speed that there is a metal hollow tinging sound coming from the engine

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
well i built a roadmaster front suspension mt bike for my first build, the issues i had were mainly impatientance. instead of making a mounting braket for the front motor mount, i took a hammer an beat in the frame. that allowed for extra vibration which led to motor mount breaking. the other issue is the intake, i would suggest buying a difeerent intake with the different angles on it to push it out side the frame a littlebit. I am currently trying to beat the crap out of it and so far the only issue is it wont die. the reaf wheel frame is starting to warp, and one broken spoke, but im still WoT in the trails. If you have any questions feal free to send a pm dnut