Dual Pull Break leaver with combined shifter / Break unit?

GoldenMotor.com

ernie

Apr 20, 2010
Maine
The bike I’m converting has combined control units. I need to find a way to pull both breaks with the existing right hand leaver. Ideas for a holding mechanism on the left side (clutch) would help also. I would prefer not replacing the shifters.

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
Use what you have. I would keep both brake levers as brake levers and use the left side shifter (suspect it's a 3 speed) as the clutch. You will probably need to take the front derailer off anyway for engine clearance.

I've been using the stock twist shifter that came with my bike as the clutch lever for over 600 miles and love it.

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
My Bikeberry Silver Grubee Sky Hawk kit came with a left side clutch control that has a locking clutch released latch. I have my Shimano Acera 7 speed grip shifter outside of its mount. I cut off some of the bar grip. I have a dual brake cable pull handle on the right. I have a shifter kit so no front derailer shifter but one could be mounted like the other side.

Jim

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
yep, venice has the right idea man, unless you want your handlebars cluttered and causing a potential hazard, remove the front derailure, switch the gear shifter to the left side leaving only your shifter and clutch, then get a dual pull lever and your throttle on the right side, it will work perfect.....

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
There is one other thing that can go on the handle bars that makes life a little bit easier. I have a cheap universal fit-all shifter control mounted right next to the throttle/dual brake control on the right side I use for a remote choke. I can control it with my right thumb. I drilled a hole for the cable in the end of the choke lever and hooked a spring to it to get it to return. Works great. I used a noodle to make the turn from the top tube down to the choke. I bought a pair of the cheap universal shift controllers at the local community bike co-op repair shop new for $15.00.

Jim