my bike

GoldenMotor.com

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Well ill be honest i took a roadmaster mt bike from walmart and threw a 66cc motor on it. It runs good, lots of fun, but it still needs the port and polish, and a few other things. Im currently going to be working on a new build with either the same style frame, or a new one. My plans are to make it full suspension. I havent quite started it yet seems i am still in the design phase. ill post more as my ideas come together, for pictures of my Bike that i have now let me know through email, and ill e-mail them. i would post them but im not sure yet how to post pictures.

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
well nunya thanx for the tip for the pictures, this was when my bike was first built, i have donw several hundred miles since that pic, and changed a few things around, ill post a newer picture when i get the chance to finish up with various things that i am currently working on.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I'm glad I could point ya to some helpful info. I'm really glad you got a pic of your bike up. I really like the mountain bike builds more than anything else and yours looks real fun.

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
well it was a nice clean build after a few hundred miles, and an exhaust gasket that mysteriously disappeared, and the trails behind my house it isnt so clean anymore, but it is a fun bike, and it rides pretty good, hopefully soon ill be porting and polishing it.

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
i just noticed when going out to look at my bike that my rear mounting studs broke off clean from the motor block, time for some reverse drill bits, and some more shooping, my front motor mount is equiped with a quick release to allow for easier removal, thinking of doing all for mounting studs as a quick release just for the ease of maintanance, wondering if anyone has ever tried it, and any ideas that might help with getting the work done as cheaply as possible, the g/f dont like me spendign much money on the hobby, but shhhhh what she dont know wont hurt her.......

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
well since i broke off the original junk studs, i have bolted a face plate to the original holes than used a custom mount and bolted that to the face plate, and it is holding a lot better the motor has a lot less vobration, and is seeming to run better, i have also added a custom water holder to my handle bar using a old inner tube and carefully cut metal strap to which i bolted the water bottle holder, i also added a plastic tote to the bike rack to hold my tools that i like to bring with me, and a first aid kit, the first aid kit is because i am accident prone, ill take some pictures of each and post them up later till than "keep the wheels spinnin and the beavers grinnin"-smokey and the bandit

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
well it was a nice clean build after a few hundred miles, and an exhaust gasket that mysteriously disappeared, and the trails behind my house it isnt so clean anymore...
Man... trails around here are crazy rugged, rocks AND muck - yer nuts o_O

I'm gonna hafta grab the schwinn and roll w/ya sometime on those, sounds like a blast! Yer still runnin' the 44t sprocket on the rear right?

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
yes im still runnin the 44t sproket if you know of any good trails ill work on the gas money for the trail ride, i know of one really short trail that just sucks. but i am always down for a trail ride. just let me know when you would want to head out. there is also a guy from durham that i have talked to, and hes a mmb as well. well either way keep me posted, im heading out friday i think for some good ole trout fishin, saturday we have the shrine circus for my son, part of his b-day gift, but sunday is open for me, let me know

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yeah, that's why I was askin' - alla trails 'round here are jus' a little too rugged for the 44t. Either ya fly into the doom all full-tilt-boogie & take a chance at bustin' yer scull or yer doin' that crazy throttle/clutch/pedal/shifter dance... I dunno of any trails less psychotic, but we can give those a shot sometime.

Ofc this weekend is supposed to be crap, rainy & cold, good weather is a'comin' tho so we'll hit 'em sometime (^)

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
oh and dont mind the stuff on the ground around my bike, i still havent finished cleaning up after repairing my bike.

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
oh and the bottle holder held my coffee cup full going offroad ill post more info about it as i find if there are any problems or issues with the mounting

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Dude, awesome bike. I was going to do the mountain bike build simply because there's like 20 shops around here to get second-hand bikes for $50 or so. Plus, the cruiser frames seem to be a bit flimsy. But I never thought they would do any good in terms of trails.

Would it be possible to give a quick run down of the complications you had installing it? Looks like you had to mod the intake a little to clear the frame... anything other than that? What about pedal arm clearance, was that an issue?

Thanks,

- Kevin B.

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Alrighty in my build i had 2 problems when building it. The first you saw was the intake. i didnt have enough room in the frame for the carburator on the original intake. Thanx to a close by fellow Mber, i got a different intake and the custom fabrication in the pictures has been removed. The other issues i had was the bottom tube running from handle bar to crank was too big for the front motor mount, so me being me i beat the frame with a hammer. I DO NOT RECOMEND doing so, it can and probably will ruin some of the structural integrity of the frame. Besides there are kits out there to have a braket that will go around the larger scale frames so that you dont have to do what i did. I was really impatient when i beat the frame.I had no problems with peddle clearence, it runs good on the trails, but unless you know the trail dont go full throttle. i have a scar on my back from dumping it wot through a trail i didnt know. it does go good through trails that arent really bumpy. the bumpier the trail the harder it can be to control, and the more likely you can mess up your rims, or blow the tire. I ride through a trail thats behind my house and its not very bumpy if you take the right route.
Tires i used the stick tires and ride my bike everywhere street trails where ever i feal like going, i quickly ran through the tread, and am close to having another slick. i started out with the regular MT bike tread that came with the bike. my suggestion is find some good tires so that they last longer. Another problem i have had is the quickness in which the break pads wear out. THis can also be fixed by buying some performance break pads from your local bike shop. I would also recomend a shift kit for trails so u can better utelize the power of the engine. I havent gotten a shift kit yet but i have seen them in use, and am definately going to be getting one sooner or later. If you have any other question feal free to ask or pm me.
cogswelln

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Thanks man I appreciate all that info. There's a hardware store around here (True Value) that sells longer versions of those U bolt things for the extender.

Hopefully my frame will be able to clear the carburetor at least. Seems like it'd be a difficult task to find piping of that exact diameter.