Chain Alignment

GoldenMotor.com

stokey

Feb 24, 2010
wyoming
.spr.
Whoa!!! BOY!!!
Going great guns on my first build and run across a problem not sure how to solve. I am building a Micargi Rover GT with Grube 50. Got the engine mounted temporarily, ordered a special sprocket for the Micargi 68 spoke wheel from Pirate Cycles (really great service and quick shipping!!) and mounted it on the wheel. During the chain install/mounting I found that it rubs/drags on the side of the tire.... Checked everything. The motor is centered in the bike frame from side to side correctly and the wheel is centered and adjusted in the frame properly. It appears the wheel needs to move to the right nearly the width of the chain in order to get proper clearance. Dont think the new sprocket can be shimmed out (to the left) because it is made to fit the hub, and also act as a dust cover. Any ideas anyone????? I thought about making some motor mounts, and trying to off-set the motor to the left about 1/4" to 1/2", but dont know if that is acceptable practice. If that was done, wouldnt the wheel and motor need to be turned sideways a slight amount to get the 2 sprockets to be aligned so they are parallel and in a straight line with each other, so the chain would not tend to run to one side of the sprockets?? Any ideas or input will be appreciated. Mechanical ability on a scale of 1 to 10 I am probably a 7 or 8, but so far have not solved this. Hoping someone may have run into this problem and already solved it.
Happy Easter Everyone!!! (I hope that is politically acceptable) If not, I did not mean to offend anyone.
Bill