Pedal not clearing the Exaust

GoldenMotor.com

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
I got a motor kit from Chris Hill in thunder bay. It works great but the pedal arm does not seem to want to clear the muffler well. It dings it every time it goes around. My friend who installed it had to take a hammer to it to put dents in it. It clears it much better then before. It wouldn't even go past the exhaust the pedal arm. He even tried bending the exhaust abit and that worked for a couple days and now it seems it has bent back and making the pedal arm hit it when I have to pedal. Suggestions ?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Take a pipe that fits over the pedal arm and bend it out a bit. That's what Cruiser did. Of course you pedal arm won't be the best for pedalling and I don't know if you want to do that to your bike, but it worked for him.

Or take the muffler off and pound a bigger dent in it.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
You can put a little heat on the exhaust pipe and carefully bend it out of the way. But you have to do it very carefully or it will kink the pipe. And you will have a discolored spot where you heated it.....................

cruiser66

Mar 4, 2008
Westport, MA
I got a motor kit from Chris Hill in thunder bay. It works great but the pedal arm does not seem to want to clear the muffler well. It dings it every time it goes around. My friend who installed it had to take a hammer to it to put dents in it. It clears it much better then before. It wouldn't even go past the exhaust the pedal arm. He even tried bending the exhaust abit and that worked for a couple days and now it seems it has bent back and making the pedal arm hit it when I have to pedal. Suggestions ?
I have never heard of a bent pipe which unbends itself. I would check the motor mounts to make sure they are not shifting or getting loose which would change the alignment of the exhaust pipe...

Bombardier

Feb 3, 2010
australia
the origional bicycle engine design had a small box muffler origionally.thats why the early barrels have a rectangle exhaust port and the later engines barrels have a round exhaust port. i did find a picture of a aluminium box muffler but ive lost it now . im guessing they put the larger long exhaust on to reduce sound and give the engine a little more power. we actually made up a larger diameter header pipe about 1 and a 1/4 inch diameter and welded it to the muffler, it made no difference to the sound but gained perhaps 5 mph .

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Hi.. I have only done somewhere between 300 and 400 "and still Counting" installs of the 2 stroke motors. I have never had an install yet that did not require the Chrome Exhaust to be bent into shape. Either because it was hitting the frame or hitting a pedal. Here is how to do it with no heat or hammer. You will have to muscle it. Block it with wood into a vise and using muscle, bend it the way you want it to go. Using heat or a hammer will ruin the looks of your pipe. Also.. Never ever Attempt to bend a pipe mounted to the motor. You must remove the pipe, block it with wood into a bench vise,, And then.. Bend it. Typically, I will have any Chrome pipe bent the way it needs to be and mounted in less than 5 minutes. Enjoy the ride..

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
I had the same problem with my 2 cycle installation. Luckily it had the black painted muffler. I had to add 2" to the pipe between the engine and muffler and had to bend the pipe both down and inward. Cherry red heat did the downward bend okay but I hack sawed a few slots in the side of the pipe to bend it sideways and then welded the slots. it came out well with the muffler positioned in front of and parallel with the down tube. I'm working on my 4 cycle installation now and will have to do quite a bit of bending on the exhaust pipe because the muffler interfers with the front fender. This time I'll do some cold bending with a pipe bender to avoid damageing the chrome plating as much as possible.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I prefered to just tilt and raise my motor til the peddals cleared my muffler. But most people just slap the motor on and say omg the muffler hits my peddals and now i have to bend the muffler,instead of lossening the engine and tilting and adjusting it til its good,but yeah there are some bikes where the muffler pipe will have to be bended.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
Tilting the engine doesn't matter much for a two stroke as long as the tilt doesn't cause problems with the carburetor float valve but on a four stroke with an oil sump it's more important to keep the engine more or less level to keep the oil circulation working whether it's a pumped or splash oil system.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
Actually the $199 kit came with wide three piece cranks but this bike has a single piece crank. I test rode the bike today and discovered it's going to need a 44 tooth rear sprocket instead of the 50 that comes with it. The top speed with the 50 tooth is 22mph with the engine reving pretty high. It has a lot of pull to the point you don't have to pedal to get going so I'm sure a smaller sprocket won't be too tall for it.