Input on this kit

GoldenMotor.com

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
I'm getting curious about this electric bike thing. I really like my china girl motorbike...but I love the front wheel drive on my velosolex. So I'm looking into adding an electric friction drive setup on the front of my bike. Here's the link...perhaps everyone can give some input. Kinda looks like an electric solex motor...LOL. Only 12 volt ?? Claims 15 mph (like my solex LOL) and a range of 20 miles ?? Thanks ! http://www.electricbikefactory.com/bike_power_kits.php

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
That looks really weak. Like maybe around 100 watts. I have a 980 watt electric scooter that is still only half as fast and powerful as my 49cc stock 2 stroke. That kit would be OK for a non-motorized bike if there are no hills. Try the ebay front hub kits. Their total price is about the same, they will have at least 250 watts (still weak but would move you, 350 or 500 is better), and they would have less resistance when not being used. Plus you can pick your own size and type of 12-volt batteries. an 18-amp hour battery is going to be really heavy. 2 7.2-amp hour batteries for the ebay kit can be mounted more easily and weigh less, and cost about $15-20 each on ebay and will still give you a good hour long run time with pedal assist.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It all depends on what the rider wants ofc, some may not want a more powerful system preferring instead no more than an assist - however generally speaking I must agree with rudyauction509, that with some shopping around you'll find far more efficient ebike systems for the same price, less if you wish no more preformance than what's linked.

They're out of business now I think, but I had a 12v 'Zap' electric friction drive virtually identical to the "The Powerful Hill Climber Dual Motor Kit" advertised and to say it was an underwhelming disappointment would be an understatement... and I paid nothing at all for it lol

Just for reference, 1000 watts = 1.34 horsepower (mopeds typically 2.5hp & up), so if that's 100 watts (can't tell, no specs offered) it's 0.13 horsepower - hardly enough to warrant it's own weight & with a friction drive & tiny SLA battery, it won't do it for long...

BTW, if your shopping for ebike stuff and the merchant offers specs for their product, calculators like the above & this can be handy to get an idea of what's offered if you've not seen them before (watts to horsepower & volts/watts to amps, amps = amp hours for estimated range etc);
http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/watt-volt-amp-calculator.htm

Last edited:

garfitt

Jan 14, 2013
UK
Yeah it does look identical to the Zap DX system which is more powerful than the Zeta 3 I'm about to try out (but I did get it free). However my dad did say that it helped up the hills, so it really depends what you're after.

If you're looking for distance and performance then I'd have to agree that a hub motor seems like the better option. I'm hoping that the friction drive will give me a little boost up the slight hill to work and I'll just remove the batteries for leisure rides.

n3glv

Jun 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Friction motors suck.
Boo hiss...
Hub is ok, chain is cheaper.
Best but most complex is mid drive electric.
Lithium ion, LiFEpo4 etc...
24v should get you around 20mph with 26 or 27" wheels.