New Ma Moped Law Spares Motorized Bikes

GoldenMotor.com

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Good news for gasbikers Click on the Link dance1

This new law seems to single out the scooters making them get Registered with licence plates and inspection sticker as well as insurance. They now have to park in metered Auto spots instead of on the the sidewalk. Boston does not have parking spots for motorcycles to begin with. In a city where parking is tight. There now will be scooters filling the already unavailable parking spots. For some reason people thought this law would hurt us MB's. It seems to have help us.. I see a lot more motorized bikes in the future. I registered one today as a moped No Problem. Can you say five zero's.

A new law that takes effect July 31, 2009 authorizes the RMV to create registration requirements that allow several alternative-type classes of vehicles to legally and safely share the roads of the Commonwealth.

Before the Massachusetts Legislature passed the statute last January, the RMV prohibited the registration of certain two to four wheeled electric and liquid-fueled vehicles because they either didn't meet federal certification or there were concerns about their safe operation on roadways designed for higher speed vehicles.

The state statute allows low speed and limited use vehicles as they are now defined, to be registered, titled, insured and inspected. The RMV has created distinctive license plates for each new class of "green vehicle"

Below are the definitions and requirements for each of these new classes:

Low Speed Vehicle (LSV)
A "low speed vehicle" is any . . .

4-wheeled motor vehicle that . .
has a 17-digit VIN
has been issued a Certificate of Origin
has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 3,000 pounds
has a top speed greater than 20 mph but not greater than 25 mph, and
is National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)-certified as a "Low Speed Vehicle," demonstrated by . . .
The Certificate of Origin listing the body style or body type as "LSV" or "Low Speed Vehicle"
The Manufacturer's Certification Label posted on the vehicle containing the VIN and indicating the TYPE of vehicle as a "Low Speed Vehicle."
Operating a Low Speed Vehicle
To be operated on a public way, LSVs must be registered, titled, insured, and inspected. If an electrical motor or batteries solely power the vehicle, no emissions test is required. If, however, the LSV is liquid-fueled, the emissions test is required.
Low speed vehicles are prohibited from "limited access" and "express state highways" and any portion of other roads where the speed limit exceeds 30 mph. They may also be prohibited from other highly-trafficked areas due to their inherent speed limitations.
Low speed vehicles, unlike other passenger-plated vehicles, may bear commercial lettering, and may be used for commercial purposes. Because only "passenger plates" will be issued for LSVs, commercial plates are not available.
Low speed vehicles can be operated with a driver's license or learner's permit.

Limited Use Vehicle (LUV)
A "limited use vehicle" is any vehicle . . .

That has been certified by its manufacturer to meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) for that particular class of vehicle (e.g. passenger, motorcycle, truck, etc.),
whose speed on a paved level surface can exceed 30 miles per hour but is not capable of exceeding 40 miles per hour.
Operating a Limited Use Vehicle
To be operated on a public way, LUVs must be registered, titled, insured, and inspected. If an electrical motor or batteries solely power the vehicle, no emissions test is required. If, however, the LUV is liquid-fueled, the emissions test is required.
Limited use vehicles are prohibited from "limited access" and "express state highways," and any portion of other roads where the speed limit exceeds 40 mph. They may also be prohibited from other heavily-trafficked areas, due to their inherent speed limitations.
Limited use vehicles can be operated with a driver's license or learner's permit, unless it is certified to meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for a motorcycle, then a motorcycle license or motorcycle learner's permit will be required. The RMV is currently seeking a statute change that would allow the operation of all limited use vehicles with a driver's license.

Mopeds and the New Law
The new law does not change requirements for registering motorized bicycles (mopeds). Vehicles that have an engine capacity of 50cc or less with an automatic transmission and a top speed of no greater than 30 mph must be registered with a small decal as a motorized bicycle subject to the following:

They cannot be operated at speeds greater than 25mph.
Cannot be ridden on limited access or express state highways where signs prohibiting bicycles are posted.
Cannot be ridden on off-street recreational bicycle paths but can use bicycle lanes along roadways.
Operators must use the proper electronic directional signals or hand signals before stopping or turning.
Operators must be 16 years of age and have a valid driver's license or learner's permit. If operating on a permit, they can only ride between sunrise and sunset.
Operators and passengers must wear approved safety helmets.
Operators are subject to all state traffic laws and regulations.
Operators cannot carry a passenger while operating on a permit.
Some vehicles currently registered as Mopeds may be required to be reclassified as a limited use vehicle when its current registration expires, if they meet the following conditions:
The vehicle is certified by its manufacturer to meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) for that particular class of vehicle (e.g. passenger, motorcycle, truck, etc.),
The vehicle's speed on a paved level surface can exceed 30 miles per hour but is not capable of exceeding 40 miles per hour.
Parking regulations for mopeds, Low Speed and Limited Use vehicles are promulgated by individual cities and towns. Please contact your local transportation department for any changes in parking regulations.

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Doesn't the Ma. reg. form for a moped say something like " I certify that the vehical being regestered meets all standards for registration as a moped" ?

Which no standard bicycle can1

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
old thread i know, but according to somerville aldermen jack connoly (he lives like 3 houses down from me and is good friends/business partner with my dad). in MA these things are completely legal as long as under 50cc, just asked him today. no registration, no license, no insurance, none of that crap.

also unrelated but NH has got it nice n easy, under 5hp and you're good to go, legally, according to this thread at least

http://motorbicycling.com/f17/law-new-hampshire-16973-2.html

if you google Valerie Lamarre NH it turns out someone with that name does indeed work for the state of NH, which makes this much more likely.

makes me jealous even if MA laws about them aren't bad at all.

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
@Matthurd

Unfortunately, you are mis informed. If you look at the Motorized Bicycle Registration (MOPED), http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/20017.pdf Massachusetts, requires all motorized Bicycles and moped up to 50cc to be registered and you need at least a lerners permit. but its only 40 for a 2 year sticker. Unfoirtunately, most people are mis informed and think you dont need anything, and even worse most of the police believe it too. I have my bikes registered so i can take them out of state.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
HseLoMein,
I hear you and I am in the same boat. Hope we never are asked to backup our singned "I certify" statement.

And as far as being jealouse of NH laws, we both know enough about that first hand.

Jim

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
heres the issue i have with that form, a moped by law can go up to 40mph now, to register a motorized bicycle it must be registered as a moped. it then says a motorized bicycle can not go more then 30mph, doesn't make sense.

also according to the form, it MUST have an automatic transmission, by using a jack shaft kit you have now created a manual transmission, so what is it considered then?

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Yes, my registered Mb is single speed with auto clutch. Actually it should not even have a hand clutch on it to be leagle. Of course there are many other things that do not meet the moped requirement. I'm just hoping for the best and trying to come as close to the requirements as possiable.

JediPollock

Sep 18, 2011
Rockland MA
Hi everyone! :) My car situation went from bad to worse then upgraded to SOL. I just hocked two cars for $1000 that I paid $5000 for. So being fed up with cars and insurance I've been doing research and trying to decide what I'm going to get next. I'm really worried about the legal side of my next choice of vehicle because I'm going all in. if the cops start hassling me about my $1200 motorbike or the DMV gives me grief about what my bike really is I'm guna be REALLY bummed-out.

I know this is an old post but it's a valuable one. from what I've been reading I hear that the DMV just takes my word for it that my bike has an automatic transmition, an engine 50cc or less, and can't go over 30mph? So long as you don't get caught by a savvy cop that knows what to look for your golden? The speed limit for all mopeds and motorbikes is 25mph all the time but in a car you can go 10 over the limit and not get pulled over. the cops basicly can't write the ticket unless your going atleast 11 over the limit. but I wonder how risky it would be going 31 on a motorbike...if you did sign a paper saying it couldn't do that.

Hope to hear some more about this topic real soon. I want to give pedaling a rest before the snow comes. I got my homemade ice tires for my Trek all ready. it's just getting darn cold out for sweating

glad to be here ya'll

JediPollock

Sep 18, 2011
Rockland MA
yea a jackshaft would make it legally a manual but how many cops out there know/care about Mb laws. it's just like knife laws. I've bought butterfly knives from massachusetts knife shops because law enforcment doesn't care to bust shops for selling them and have actually had a cop hand me back my butterfly knife after just claiming ignorence to the law. Yea it must be legal here because I bought it here. I have yet to buy/build my own motorbike but, as of now my plan is to strap an 80cc engine labeled up as a 50 to a mountain bike with a jackshaft, certify it as legal cuz that's what the DMV allows me to do and if I'm pulled over I'm just guna point to the sticker that lets em know I paid the state my $40 to putter around my lil bike. I think that would work out

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
The speed limit for all mopeds and motorbikes is 25mph all the time but in a car you can go 10 over the limit and not get pulled over. the cops basicly can't write the ticket unless your going atleast 11 over the limit. but I wonder how risky it would be going 31 on a motorbike...if you did sign a paper saying it couldn't do that.
You asked for opinions so here's mine. Who says they write the ticket for 10 over? They might not want to bother with the paperwork but they can if they wanted to and it's probable cause to pull you over and check you out. If you're riding around in a ****box car with other infractions you're done, just like if you're on a barely legal MB and acting stupid.

Here's my advice if you want to avoid hassles ans stay on the road:
On public streets, ride responsibly, keep the speed down, muffle the exhaust as much as you can, wear a helmet, have a left side mirror, have lights front and rear that work especially if riding after dark.
Most of this is commonsense and advice even savvy bicyclist follow.

Bobbah90

Nov 8, 2012
Acushnet, MA
I was pulled over on my first ride for break in, in Fairhaven. The officer didn't light me up, just passed pulled over and flagged me down. He was very pleasant and only asked questions about its legality as well as top speed, fuel economy, the normal stuff that everyone asks me. I have not gotten around to register it yet because I spent all my money building it and fixing little problems so far. I told him that I was told it was an assist motor and that meant it was still a bicycle. He saw me doing 30. Did not even ask to see my drivers license. I'm going to add a centrifugal clutch eventually so I wont be committing perjury while having it registered. But something tells me that if I had the tag, I'd never get pulled over. I get pulled over more just walking around my neighborhood. Go figure they ask for my license when I'm walking but not when I'm doing 30 down the side of the road in a dirtbike helmet with a backpack full of hand tools. This state blows my mind sometimes.

RadicalxEdward

Apr 19, 2013
Chicopee, MA
Is there anyone here that has successfully registered a motorized bicycle that could help me do the same? I was turned down by my local registry because my self built bike isn't on their list of mopeds (the lady acted like I was wearing a tin foil hat when I said I built it myself, full story here: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthr...-springfield-MA-epic-fail&p=361806#post361806 )

I really want to be as legal as possible but so far that's not working. and despite trying to be as polite as possible with cops (roll down window, car off, hands on wheel, don't argue, etc etc) I've never had good luck with them. Many of the cops around me are a**es, any time they see a spoiler they cause a fuss so i'm sure they'll see me and think illegal motorcycle right off the bat and ticket me for everything they can.

bikechop

May 9, 2013
massachusetts
in massachusetts, what would a person need to bring with them for registering the bike/moped?? my first time with these kits and im not gonna give up! plenty of mods ill do if i can have it legally on the road ;)

bikechop

May 9, 2013
massachusetts
funny how the old puch maxi mopeds have a manual pull clutch and pass as a moped but the bike engine kits possibly cant?? sounds like the registry was sorta mis-informed about their functions especially if you cant go over 25mph! i bought the 49cc kit, can i or not, register it imn massachusetts, haverhill?? the local RMV doesnt have a clue. where did massachusetts motorred bikers register their rides?? i need help with this BADLY!

RadicalxEdward

Apr 19, 2013
Chicopee, MA
i keep hearing about people through coworkers or relatives that know people who ride motorized bicycles to work and supposedly have them registered but I've still yet to be able to contact any of them. So far I haven't physically spoken to anyone from western ma that's been able to register their bike. Most people seem to be from the boston area where bikes are more common.

RadicalxEdward

Apr 19, 2013
Chicopee, MA
@Radical have you been able to register your bike yet?
I Wasn't able to unfortunately and I tried riding my bike to work about a week ago. It broke down constantly ( if it's not one thing it's always another) and I ended up walking the majority of the way dragging the bike along (13 miles). However, I don't know how new the form is that chainmaker posted but I just looked over that and that seems to be the perfect form to get these bikes registered. I'm betting I wouldn't have nearly as much trouble applying with that form.

Thanks chainmaker!

p.s. I should also mention I had just returned my motorcycle helmet for an exchange so I was riding without a helmet and went by several cops, some of whom I saw look directly at the bike and they didn't do anything. I think these things are so rare around here that they're more of a curiosity.