question about the legal part

GoldenMotor.com

worried sister

Aug 13, 2013
Louisiaa
Hey everyone,
My brother wants to put a 49cc motor on his bicycle and ride it around town. Have any of you ever had trouble with the law for doing such? The bike would not be registered with the DMV and he does not have a driver's license. I know it varies from state to state and such and yes, I have called my local DMV office and was told that if the motor was below 50cc it would not have to be registered. BUT, I was told this only after I told the lady I spoke with what I had all ready read on the DMV website. This is copied directly from the Louisiana State Legislature:

MOTORIZED BICYCLE - R.S. 32:1(41) defines as a pedal bicycle which may be propelled by human power or helper motor, or by both, with a motor rated no more than one and one-half brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission, and which produces a maximum design speed of no more than twenty-five miles per hour on a flat surface."

I then called a DMV office in a near by town and asked the same question and was told that if it was motorized and on the road that it had to be registered with the state.

Input will be appreciated. Thanks!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Getting two different answers from two different "authorities" is typical. Most don't really know and haven't had to deal with it, so they just say something. Look at the actual laws and if it looks like a go then print them out. And tell your brother to study the traffic laws for cars and motorcycles as if he was going to take a driver's test. Ignorance of traffic laws won't cut it. And acting like a ding dong on his bike... tearing around on sidewalks, ignoring traffic lights and stop signs, not using at least hand signals at turns will do him in. The same cop who might overlook something in an old guy like me, might pull over a young kid and give him a a hard time. As you know, that's just the way it is. So he has to be a model rider or he'll lose his bike. As for the 50cc engine, it would also be good to keep your receipt and make a copy of it to keep with a copy of the motor vehicle laws so that he can (in a respectful way) show the officer what the law says and can prove that his motor is compliant with regulations. In a lot of places this is a gray area. He can have a lot of fun without being a hotdog. Besides, you're the big sister and want to keep him safe. If he can be responsible riding, it can be a real good thing and you'll be his champion.
SB

Last edited: