Finished build, won't turn over. :(

GoldenMotor.com

omahadlr

Apr 20, 2012
Fairview Heights, IL.
Completed the SkyHawk kit. Tried numerous times pedaling down driveway, releasing clutch and it sounds like it wants to run but, just putt, putt, putt and stops. Gas valve is open. I've tried numerous positions with choke and throttle. Any suggestions?
I'm in metro East St. Louis area so if there are any bikers near by that could help. i'd appreciate it.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Did you clean out the gas tank before you mounted it? There is usually lots of crap in there, it might have clogged the filter right away (in the top of the fuel valve).
Pull the plug and take a look at it, do you see or smell gas? Is the plug soaking wet or dry? You need to find out if fuel is getting there... If your plug is soaking wet, dry it out, then let the clutch out and roll the bike around a bit so the motor turns over and pushes out any built up gas from the cylinder (make sure the plug wire and any other spark/flame is not in position to ignite fuel that may be ejected from the spark plug hole). This will clear a flooded condition. Now put the plug back in and give her another try.
Post back more details if this doesn't help and we will try to get her running....

omahadlr

Apr 20, 2012
Fairview Heights, IL.
When I received the kit, I went out and got the kreem kit to coat the inside of the gas tank. There is gas flowing to carburetor. I took of hose going to carb, turned the gas valve up by tank and it flows. I will take ur advise and check the spark plug next. thx

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. I have two old friends in Collinsville.

Your engine needs three things to run.
Fuel:
Air:
Ignition:

Have you confirmed that you have these?

Fuel flowing from tank to carburetor? Remove fuel line from carburetor, open fuel petcock (valve) and see if fuel flows.

Choke open? Self explanitory

Ignition system functioning? Remove spark plug from engine, reconnect the high voltage lead then lay the plug against the cylinder head fins and spin the rear wheel with the clutch engaged. Look for a spark at the plug's electrodes.

Get back to us with your findings.
Tom

omahadlr

Apr 20, 2012
Fairview Heights, IL.
Plulled the spark plug out and it was black and sooty. never seen a sparkplug with 3 prongs. There is another sparkplug that came with the kit that looks like a normal sparkplug with 1 prong. I'll try that one.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Plulled the spark plug out and it was black and sooty. never seen a sparkplug with 3 prongs. There is another sparkplug that came with the kit that looks like a normal sparkplug with 1 prong. I'll try that one.
All the plugs that come with the kits are crap, the three prong one is said to be better. Most people seem to be running an NGK BP6HS plug, as am I, it's a much better plug.
So it seems she has been firing, but was it soaking WET? Trying to determine if it's not starting due to flooding... At any rate, roll the bike around (with the fuel valve OFF) to clear out the cylinder and put in the new or cleaned plug, then turn on the fuel valve and try to start her up right away...
Depending on the angle the carb is mounted you might need to do a float adjustment, that is really common with the CNS carb. If there is too much fuel in the bowl that can cause an over rich condition. But lets cross that bridge when we come to it, after you get her running and see how she performs....