Quick startup and longevity

GoldenMotor.com

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
Hey folks,
my new two stroke runs like a charm. It does, however, take quite some pedal power startup. Moreover, it seems to take just a little more push to start up every time out. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to reduce the amount of work I have to put into starting the motor up?

Also, what are some techniques you guys use to make sure your motors last as long as possible?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Try holding down the primer button for a couple seconds, and all these engines require differing amounts of choke on cold start.

Also, if you haven't yet, get an NGK plug to replace the stock one.

As for making one last longer?

Never wore one out, yet.

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
I like to pump the primer(instead of holding), that way I can hear when the bowl is full. If I'm not paying attention it'll dribble out the airbox. Then I'll give'r half choke to start, and leave it on till I get to the end of the block and turn it off there. She alway's fires right up.

But like Joe said, each one is different. So try different settings until she fires up right away like she's supposed to.

As for longer, make sure your jetting is right for where you are, and your plug is a nice chocolate color(for mineral oil, synthetic is grey). And mix your gas correctly! :)

gl.

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
Try holding down the primer button for a couple seconds, and all these engines require differing amounts of choke on cold start.

Also, if you haven't yet, get an NGK plug to replace the stock one.

As for making one last longer?

Never wore one out, yet.
Actually I don't think my motor has a primer button. Also, it started up pretty quickly today. I just hope it stays that way...

As for longer, I'm just deathly paranoid. I know of a friend who had a motor that lasted a few short months. He would leave it out in the rain and ride it for extended periods without tightening up the nuts. He basically didn't know what he was doing. I just want to avoid as much subtle, newbish behavior that that might not be completely obvious to a new owner.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I make sure I turn the fuel petcock off so I don't flood the carbutator. Just don't forget to turn it back on before riding it. And prime it (I'm almost sure you have a primer button on your carburetor).

I also took the needle in the carb, and I put the clip that holds the needle one space down.. It starts much easier now.. You'll be amazed how quick it starts when it's tuned correctly.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Oh, as for longevity, make sure a couple of things happen.. Where the three wires come out of the motor, make sure you make them water tight. They get water in them, and sometimes short out the engine.
Also, make sure you have good quality two stroke oil in them. And make sure you aren't too rich or too lean on the oil side.. I mean not 100:1 or 10:1. And check your spark plug once a week.. That will let you know if your engine is running rich or lean. These bikes are lubricated only by the oil in the fuel.. Too much oil will leave residue in the cylinder and eventually foul your plug. Too title oil, and the engine will not be properly lubricated, and seize on you..soSomething like 16:1 in the first tank. 20:1 on the second tank.. Then you can be comfortable with 32:1 (50:1 if you have a good synthetic formula). These engines are very simple and built with ease. It isn't hard to kill them.. But it isn't easy to screw them up, either.

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
I make sure I turn the fuel petcock off so I don't flood the carbutator. Just don't forget to turn it back on before riding it. And prime it (I'm almost sure you have a primer button on your carburetor).

I also took the needle in the carb, and I put the clip that holds the needle one space down.. It starts much easier now.. You'll be amazed how quick it starts when it's tuned correctly.
!! I do have one! Another minor detail left out of the nonexistent instruction manual I got with the motor. Thanks.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
For a better pedal and to help the motor have less friction to overcome- take off the flywheel cover and put some clean heavy grease on the teeth of the gears- don't get grease down inside on the clutch pads, but on the gear teeth you'll hear an immediate lessening of motor noise and feel an easier pedal- also put grease on the shaft that goes through the motor sprocket wand that has the ball bearing behind it-
It really makes things smoother and takes just several minutes- you can take the clutch cover off- 3 screws- without disconnecting the cable itself. Get them tight again!

a 415 Trike/ Industrial chain is about $13 shipped and is twice as light as the kit chain- the width is the same , but the plates are smaller and sothe resistence is less-a smoother pedal and quieter chain- if you're not doing a lot of very rough riding- I've been using one on both builds since last summer without a mishap- search "415 Trike chain" on ebay and Amazon

If a motor gets harder to start- it's often an air leak- use an o ring in the carb, or make sure the intake/carb seal is airtight with silicon