exhaust pipe clearance

GoldenMotor.com

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
Has anyone had a issue with their exhaust in the way of the crank arm on the bike? when I got my kit and installing I had issues with the arm hiiting the exhaust. I took the muffler and tapped the side in with a ball peen hammer until I had clearance easy fix but it looks like I layed it down! of all the pics I have come across no else has issues like mine!

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
The exaust can be bent. take the pipe and secure it in spots with wood clamps or whatever and bend it a little at a time. Just do not get crazy with it and crimp the pipe.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
due to the down tube diameter I had about 1/2" clearance between the muffler and frame and still couldnt get my pedal to come around without hitting , so thats why i dented the muffler! but I 'am on the hunt for a different frame with a smaller dia. down tube.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I had the same problem with my last build. I loosened up exhaust bolts and retightened (after reapplying sealant) as far to center line and right as possible. When done I was less then a sixteenth short of crank not tapping the exhaust. Was a day of never ending near misses and bad investments and that light hollow tap sound sent me over the edge. I put one hand on the seat and one on the handle bars, put the bike straight up and off the kick stand, took careful aim and kicked the bottom of the muffler.
This is so, so wrong, but worked perfectly. I am in no way suggesting any one try this. (but cracked me up and I bought a bigger rubber mallet)

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
What I did was stick a 1/2 inch extension in the pipe. I put the other end of the 1/2 extension in a vise and pulled on the muffler side a little. I bent the pipe a little and that made the pipe clear the cranks.