Enlarge Sprocket Center?

GoldenMotor.com

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
anyone try grinding some material off the bolt heads for clearence on the brake arm? That is my biggest problem but not sure I h ave access to tools to bend the arm for clearence... what about just taking the brake guts out and using it as a regular free wheel with added caliper brakes?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
anyone try grinding some material off the bolt heads for clearence on the brake arm? That is my biggest problem but not sure I h ave access to tools to bend the arm for clearence... what about just taking the brake guts out and using it as a regular free wheel with added caliper brakes?
I shaved my bolts and bent my brake arm very little. Some use flat head bolts and you could also counter sink the bolts into the sprocket. This will give a much "cleaner" and nice look compared to the shaved bolts.

You also may need to do some mod to your dust cover,

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
Thanks for the ideas... I read something about modding the dust cover in another thread but I'm not entirely sure what needs to happen there (your last pic is our of focus)

I'll probably grind the heads a little and bend the arm slightly mostly because I don't want to take the sprocket off!!! It was a bear to get the bolts thru the rubber bushings and the plates... The rubber kept pulling the bolts to an inward angle!!! took me about 1.5 hours to just get the sprocket assembled!!!

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
no, no worries... I think I grasp the concept for the dust cover now that I read the thread. I love this forum, it's like I now have a whole community of immaginative, experienced builders to bounce ideas off of!