Chain Waxing

GoldenMotor.com

MrBill

Jan 8, 2014
Manglaralto, Ecuador
Good morning. I have done a search for chain waxing and Paraffin but come up empty.
I have been doing a bunch of different reading as I needed to rebuild a wheel with a different hub so I was searching building and truing and many other things. I came across many different articles and videos from the pedal bikers that highly recommend using paraffin wax on your chain rather than a messy lube. They say that it makes things smoother and the chain and sprockets last longer and stay cleaner.
My question is has anyone tried it? I have no qualms about doing it on my pedal chain but was wondering if any one had done it for their motor chain. Any reason why it would not work?
Thanks.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't see how parrafin could get in the spaces to lube the rollers inside. Unless you plan to dip the chain in a can of melted parrafin.

You can buy motorcycle chain wax, it sprays on liquid to get in all the right places and then firms up.

MrBill

Jan 8, 2014
Manglaralto, Ecuador
Yes it is heated and then you put the chain in it. Some add paraffin oil to the mix. Once it has sat in the paraffin for a while you pull it out an it will have seeped into all the places it needs to be.
This is one video on how its done. This guy adds paraffin oil but others do not. Melt paraffin, soak chain, remove, wipe and cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF9nbwsaSHs

Last edited:

Kartooo

Nov 18, 2016
MA
i have tried the commercial wax lubes and they are fine in dry conditions as stated on the container. i like the fact that sand and grit does not stick to them. what i do NOT like is how they work in wet conditions. your chain will get rusty ! a few times out this winter on a wet/damp road, possible mixed in residue from rd salt my chain had surface rust.

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
I've used toilet seal gasket wax with good results on motocross chain, and Alox bullet lube with even better results. Melted in a paint can (bought cheap at the hardware store), dipped chain, soak for a while, then hang to cool and dry. These waxes are softer than paraffin and do collect some dirt. Have another can with varsol, paint thinner, kerosene or a combo of all for cleaning before rewaxing.

brandonak

Nov 28, 2017
what benefits does waxing the chain have? I went through two chains and three master links in the past 2 days im not sure if the cold has anything to do with it but its on 54 degrees here in az where i am and they both broke around the 2 mile mark of traveling. For the life of me I can not figure out what is going on. I am running a 66/80 cc engine using a 415 chain.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
a chain that is running straight and tensioned well will stretch over time and need replacement - a chain that breaks is fitted wrong

brandonak

Nov 28, 2017
yea i broke a old chain and a new chain twice this week, I have no clue what is going on with it, it is a little colder than normal here in AZ but i wouldn't think that should effect it should it?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Weather should not affect it. Other factors may be the use of a rag joint mounted sprocket, frame flex from a cheap bicycle, light weight wheels and a poorly mounted engine. Also a misaligned tensioner. I'm not attacking your workmanship, just going by my own experiences. Bad riding habits and terrain will also contribute to drive train failures.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
There is a major problem if a chain (even a cheap one) only last a few days. I would guess alignment or out of round sprocket.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The spray motorcycle lube from Liquid Wrench I use works good. The cans of Liquid Wrench Penetrating Fluid look quite similar, so I have to keep a keen eye when I grab the right one from my lubricants.

I didn't have any problem with chain breaking or falling off. A few links starting getting stiff. I worked them loose and thought OK. Soon after same thing, I replaced the chain since it was old by about 3 years. It is 35 chain for my pedal less motor bike.

Trail riding and dirt, mud, etc. and lots of torque had taken toll. Still only 1/2 the width of one of the solid pins in the chain was the amount of difference in the length between old and new chain over a 3 foot length. That is a 1/32 of an inch about.

So much smoother running now. I also have a half link (off set link) that has that super small cotter pin. I will check if it comes out or breaks off pieces. When it had stiff links I saw some piece of the cotter pin broken off.

Was searching out a press fit half link, but all I found in 35 size was an all offset link 10 foot length of 35 chain. Mfr gave a distributor name and I called for price and shipping. They said they had to call the company as they did not stock it. They never called back.

May be a bit expensive anyway so not a biggie to not get answer yet. I have to oil the clutch bronze bushing so at the same time I shall see the half link cotter pins shape to be sure everything is OK now.