Custom build gas tanks???

GoldenMotor.com

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Has anybody purchased an in-frame gas tank from ghettobike.com and/or the "custom built gas tanks" link on the left side of the forum ad board. I have some questions and I've been trying to get in contact them, but haven't had much success to this point. Just curious to see if anybody has had experience with this place and what's your feedback???

Thanks (^)

Frank

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
F-rod I have used them and become friends with James who makes the tanks. The work is great and I am very happy with the tank I purchased. For all the work involved the price is more then fair.

GhettoBike

Jun 3, 2013
Los Angeles
To those who tried to call me. Dropped my phone about a week ago ..And it quit working . So I took it to the sprint store . did not crack the screen but there was a nice size scratch and for that insurance denied.800.00 plus tax to replace ..it took a little over a week of going back and forth with insurance hours and hours it was a full on war. Never expected that. I have insurance . What I thought was going to be quick fix turn out to be nightmare. Everything passwords all work contacts I mean everything. My fault for not having to the sense to prepare for something like this. Quote ; Albert Einstein ...When technology catches with humanity.... yes i was caught with my pants down.With this i am in hope that all parties interested are satisfied.. My apologies to all ...James 323-359- 9680 And if I do not pick up please leave a text. I will get back to you ...

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Wow!

James, that is a horror none of us want to endure... and suspect it will probably happen, one day.
What a mess!
Good luck
rc

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Many thanks to all that replied (^). I'll definitely be ordering from him in the near future. I just scored a 1953 roadmaster frame. I've been looking forward to building this bike since this time last year, but the gas tank has been the speed bump. Not no more! Now I got the bike, now I need the tank.

Thanks again

.weld

Frank

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I seen that the link got taken off the add board. I figured I'd bump this thread so it's not forgotten and lost. Nothing but good reviews about him, I'll post pictures of the tank after I order and receive it.

moon

Sep 16, 2016
Michigan
I bought a spt from ghettobike 4 weeks ago when it didn't show up I called to see what was up and was told my package got sent to the wrong address and I would be sent another tank within a week its been another week no tank very slow unreliable service but the stuff made looks nice I have yet to get my tank to see if the wait was worth it even.

Last edited:

Kartooo

Nov 18, 2016
MA
guess i got lucky, bought one in nov, it was here within a week and 1/2. no communication by e mail, no tracking #. eventually they answered their phone to tell me it was on the way but did not have a track # for me. i guess they are busy and short staffed. the tank was very nice but i found the clamp they used made my seat way too high for me. sold it and went with a rear rack tank from dax.

moon

Sep 16, 2016
Michigan
I would recommend to anyone looking to buy bike parts to go to mbrebel.com lynn sells a lot of really nice stuff as well.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2017
California
guess i got lucky, bought one in nov, it was here within a week and 1/2. no communication by e mail, no tracking #. eventually they answered their phone to tell me it was on the way but did not have a track # for me. i guess they are busy and short staffed. the tank was very nice but i found the clamp they used made my seat way too high for me. sold it and went with a rear rack tank from dax.
I was checking that fuel tank out.... can you also use it to carry stuff like a regular rack?

Kartooo

Nov 18, 2016
MA
I was checking that fuel tank out.... can you also use it to carry stuff like a regular rack?
yup.
they are set up with the cap and petcock to the rear though. you have to do a bit of dremel work to reverse it. then it's hard to turn the cap to get it off because you can't get your fingers on the sides for a good grip. i bought a different cap to work that out.
see http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=62393 post #10

here is the cap i bought to grip from the top
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361740710044?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I bought a spt from ghettobike 4 weeks ago when it didn't show up I called to see what was up and was told my package got sent to the wrong address and I would be sent another tank within a week its been another week no tank,
James makes an excellent product as a one man show
and just hired a helper a few days ago. Made in USA!

I have met James at a few of the SoCal races and he and a few
friends will be racing in the Unlimited Class on April 1st.

I know lot's of James happy customers.

I just called James and he answered the phone and didn't
know who you are.

You have 3 posts as a newbie member here.

I suggest you call him to work this out.

Last edited:

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
I've had good success with him for two tanks now. Quality work and gets them to me faster than anyone else I've dealt with. It sounds like it may be a miscommunication issue?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I love happy endings.
Moon posted this in the other forum.

I received my tank today and it is very nicely made I would definitely buy another one I just wish it'd been easier to get a hold of James.

Overall I would still give a 5/5 star rating because the tank is VERY nice and I would buy again.

I would never have minded waiting even longer......I just wish I would have been contacted about what was going on and sent a order confirmation but still I would recommend ghettobike.com and to James id say sorry for the bad review but I tried calling over and over and tried emailing and never got a response until I went on the forums and made an ass out of myself but thats not the right word so I'll just say thank you for the tank it is beautiful and if you would be willing to do more business in the future you've definitely got a return customer.