Delaware Law

GoldenMotor.com

vwron65

Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
Does anyone know about Delaware motorized bicycle laws? I been reading alot of post here from different area of the country and lots of horror stories than good ones. I want to be as legal as possible.:-||

Derks420

May 30, 2010
Central New Jersey
Its pretty all much the same every where you live in the North East. Its gona be considered a Moped which means You need Insurance and Registration

vwron65

Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
Ok, so it's considered as moped, but what kind of paper(s) should i bring with me when i go to the DMV for titling and registration. Walmart receipt, proof of purchase, engine spec, insurance card, drivers license? it's home build..

Deiseldave

Dec 8, 2012
Warren, PA
I had an hour long conversation with a state trooper that went thru the computer in hus cruiser and the book that had laws and he told me that there is NO law against these bikes here in Delaware . that all he said was , that the bike was still classafide a bicycle since it could be pedaled under its own power and that if motor was engaged that I would be expected to follow all the traffic rules that apply to cars . Also that if you are riding at night that it must be properly lighted or you can get a fine .

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
You need to look up your laws because not all cops know or understand these laws. Most cops probably won't bother you. But if for some reason you end up in court things could be different. If your bikes meets the requirements of a moped you can't be charged with operating an improper vehicle on a public roadway.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
In a lot of states the most expensive way they try to get you is, riding an unregistered moped.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Make no mistake about it, operating an improper vehicle on the public roadways won't be cheap either. The law will view it the same as riding a (minibike, off road motorcycle, gocart, atv, riding lawnmower etc) on the public roadways. If your state requires you to build what they define as a moped, insure and register it; then that's what you have to do in order to be legal.

Last edited:

ftw357

Dec 24, 2011
clayton de
..shft. in it is legally 48cc no registration 49cc to 55cc is a moped I called 3 different dmv to find this information