49cc bicycles Illegal in winnipeg??

GoldenMotor.com

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
Alright I was pulled over yesterday by a police offer and he asked me if my bicycle was registered I said no he then begin telling me that it's illegal to ride these in the city mind you I was all geared up safety wise had turn signals and a big light I did get off with a warning he said next time I see you riding I'm gonna have to give you a ticket and confiscate your bike, ok I dunno if this guy was having a bad night but the police always drive pass me when I'm riding around town only once did they follow me then just drove off theirs also a dealer here in town selling the engines and building the bikes as well I'm gonna be calling the local insurance and see if it's actually under a moped law theirs no way of registering this thing has VIN number and if I do have to I might as well use an actual moped or scooter cant use motorcycles during November to April so I'm out of luck on that and I wouldn't dare use those anyways considering the bad snowfalls in Winnipeg if anybody can save me the trouble on inquiring about this problem it would be great thanks again.

andyKo

Jun 22, 2009
Canada
Sorry to hear that. Some cops in wpg are just pricks. They live to hand out tickets. A buddy of mine his parents are cops and can second that. I try stay off the path of main roads. If I spot a cop I off the motor and pedal like mad. They'll follow you for a block or so and be on their way. If you get stopped again just say its only a bicycle assisted motor and does not require registration.

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
I called Manitoba insurance they told me that as long as it's a power assisted note they didn't say electric so both and has a top speed of 32km/h has to be stamped power assisted 49cc which I can fix with a bigger sprocket or just go slower I usually go 40km/h on the street and take my own lane but the police just pass by me I even rode behind them one time nothing I thinking because I live in the north end part of the city riding around 2am must have thought I was a drug dealer lol so yes they technically legal to ride around he also mentioned my taillights where bad which they weren't they have a view distance of 3000meters and I had three of them my headlights where like high beams pointed down and are really bright MPI was happy to send me part of the highway act so next time a cop pulls me over I'll just tell them.

Parbed

Apr 14, 2010
Manitoba
The act reads Electric no other type of motor. So are these bikes legal or do they have to fall under moped status? I have gotten two different answers from MPI. Yes when speaking to the person and then the act says no. What is it?

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
good to see fellow manitobans here on the forum.i live northeast of winnipeg,so the chance of rcmp harassing me is pretty good.i can get away with the municipal roads and provincial highways,but not provincial trunk highways.to tell them apart,provincial roads are 3 digits. pth's are 2 digits.
can cross them but not drive on them.

i find its a matter of opinion,as in mpi will give you different answers in different offices,same as the cops,its up to the individual how its interpreted.
when reading the bylaws,there is nothing regarding motor assisted bicycles.
at least the last time i looked at it.about a year ago.there is mention of electric.

as mentioned above,i would be interested in visiting this dealer in winnipeg,for the occasional part also.could you post up the contact info,you arent actually selling anything so i dont think the mods will take offence to it.

victim

Jul 1, 2016
elm wood
If you get a ticket stop driving fight the ticket win and use that as your pocket ace for the next time they bug you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stealthpony

Jun 27, 2016
Kingston ontario canada
Personally I think the big gas tanks draw them in.A kill switch and pedal always works for me after my bike was changed to look a little more low profile.And of course I learned to spot them before they spot me and fake pedal when needed lol.I have argued the motor assisted bicycle law once and the cop still wrote me a ticket.Might be able to fight it in court but I just pay it. I also had a cop chase me down once and pull me over after I flew by him topped out.....fast kmh..he pulled his light out and said holy **** what is that thing. Said his kid would love a bike like that and said have a good night and on his way...depends on the cop so just be alert and sneaky.