Re: Muffler fell off. Repairs?

GoldenMotor.com

JJ1

Mar 22, 2017
Rockford
"I was doing about 30-40 on one of my local roads. I was thinking about straight-piping my bike for better performance, but had no access to tools to cut the exhaust. All of a sudden, I looked down to see the larger part of the exhaust, the catalytic converter, slipping off the actual exhaust pipe. I pulled over, and that cheap Chinese muffler/catalytic converter fell off completely. The bike now is very loud.
Here are pictures: http://imgur.com/a/9PQAn"

I need to know if there is an easy way to get it back on. I can't weld. Also, if the muffler bracket is not on the exhaust pipe, could this cause the motor or the pipe to get damaged? I need to fix this thing soon as it is my main transportation method and I don't want the cops or neighbors to complain.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
most fixes like muffler putty and adding some strapping metal would take more work than just getting a new one

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Without welding it, it won't go back together. Even then, the metal is such poor quality to begin with that welding it is a risky endeavor at best. Muffler mud and hose clamps will not do anything but make a mess.

When you receive the new one, make sure you secure it to the frame properly this time. If not, it shakes itself apart and could also cause undue stress on the cylinder. It can easily break the exhaust studs too.