Import Restrictions

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

RenoDave

Feb 26, 2008
I read on the www that 2 cycle engines could no longer be imported as of January 2006. If that's true, where are all of the 2 cycle bicycle engine kits coming from?

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
You can read all kinds of things on the www. Does not make it so. Even you yourself said, there are all kinds of 2 strokes for sale. Even the new 2008 and 2009 scooters are all 2 strokes. They are imported. Snow blowers, Lawn equipment, even the new outboard boat motors are 2 strokes for 2009 !! 2 strokes are alive and well..and getting better and better..and..So are the 4 strokes... It just gets better and better.. Enjoy the ride...

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i been researching this a lot and here is what i found out. as it says it was supposed to take effect end of 2007 but i cannot find weather or not it failed their like the previous attempts. from all i can find is their is no ban only certain states working on it.

The US has led the world in regulating emissions from small engines, beginning with the introduction of Phase 1 regulations in 1997. After a failed negotiation process the US EPA introduced Phase 2 standards in 1999 which are due to be implemented by August 2007 and will see the two-stroke engine effectively banned. The standard for small lawnmower engines is 16.1g of combined emissions of hydrocarbons (HC) and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) per kW per hour of operation. Following a three year political dispute, reluctance from US engine manufacturers and a technical investigation by the US EPA the state of California introduced a third phase of legislation in 2006 requiring the use of catalytic converters to further reduce emissions from January 2007. The US EPA is considering implementing the Phase 3 standards nationally. Europe has introduced standards based on the US EPA.

currently Massachusetts is working on a ban of 2 strokes. that makes me think the us ban never was implemented or why would mass be putting in a bill last year to ban them. i will keep looking and see what i can find out. so far my research says yes they are trying to but have not been successful yet and their only success is making stricter epa requirements on 2 stroke engines

another thought it says quote US EPA introduced Phase 2 standards in 1999 which are due to be implemented by August 2007 and will see the two-stroke engine effectively banned. however their is 2008 models available in outboards and a few lawn mowers in the usa which tells me the ban failed again. i think what happened here is when the original proposals were made a lot of companies made the change for what they thought was imminent. do i think it will happen? yes some day but from what i can find it has not happened yet. i have been all through the us govt epa websites and i cannot find where anything was passed to ban them

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
WTF! What ever happened to the right to own and bear arms our country is going down the tubes all of the people who gave their lives for our freedoms what has become of us? We ain't perfect but we are losing what rights we used to have. I really think the bumper sticker is right .
" When guns are outlawed only outlaws will own guns."

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
A bike, without fuel in the tank, is like an unloaded gun.... It won't kill you, but it won't get you out of a tough spot either.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Check with the EPA who warned us not to import Chinese 2-strokes into USA

Check with Don Grube, or Jesse James, or anyone else who has tangled with the EPA.

Good Gawd I'm so tired of people denying this reality.

A truly intellegent man one told me, "all of your unbelief, cannont change the Book"

Mike

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am absolutely not denying anything Mike, but surely you can give us a link to the statement or the order from the government banning the imports. We just can't find a definitive answer. If you know where it is I would love to see it so we can stop all this guessing,

Without official word it comes down to he said, he said which isn't definitive to me. I have read the information and I can't find a single OFFICIAL statement by the epa banning 2 stroke engines. Maybe these engines don't meet the epa requirements, I frankly don't know.

I'm just curious to see where it actually says that.

Then, I personally would like to see where the enforcement is actually happening. Lots of things are illegal but aren't enforced. For instance the number of aliens in this country undocumented is a shame and disgrace. There is a ban on illegal aliens but nobody seems to really care.

I have made my feelings clear before so that isn't the issue. I wouldn't refuse to buy one as long as the are for sale openly regardless. However without hard facts and official government decrees, not this vague rumor like statements, i don't see people abandoning their businesses.

I went to the epa site and did a search for bicycle engines/import export/ here is the link... If you can find a better link please list it. EPA Search Results | EPA Search | US EPA

I tried to search the customs website but I personally must not be very good because i couldn't make any sense of it. Of course Cruiser did all the searches as well. Surely your suppliers or affiliates can provide the documentation links and we can lay this to rest once and for all.

I do not mean any disrespect I just haven't been able to find anything banning these engines.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Check with Don Grube, or Jesse James, or anyone else who has tangled with the EPA.

A truly intellegent man one told me, "all of your unbelief, cannont change the Book"

Mike

Yeah, but Mike, reality being what it is, and consumerisim being what it is, looks like there is no ban or at least not one that is enforced.

Maybe they should import a two stroke Whizzer from China along with the four stroke version?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i was not saying thier is no ban just that all i can find in my research dosn't show where any of the proposals passed but says the ones that failed. it was supposed to finnally go into effect last year but cannot find where it did.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

Mike
Mike i am not trying to argue or anything else i just keep getting different answers on the question and want a definitive answer once and for all so we can put this to rest. this morning i called the usa epa office phone. he said "thier is no restrictions on the import of 2 stroke engines at this time that i am aware of" he also said he will do some checking into it and call me back which i will let you all know if i find out more.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i just called the us customs importation office and his response was also it is legal to import 2 stroke motors into the usa as long as they are certified. here is the second office i called. still waiting the call back from the epa main office after the person i talked to makes sure of his answer.

For information on U.S. Customs import procedures, please reference our publication entitled U.S. Import Requirements. For EPA regulations and to obtain the form 3520-21, visit U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
About any 2 stroke or 4 stroke ban

Keep in mind this, to ban a 2 stroke is to ban 4 strokes as well. A banning of any engine because of the number of strokes is not logical. A 2 stroke simply means the number of strokes required for combustion and exhaust, The cycle or period. That is all. No engine is regulated because of the number of strokes required to do this. Period. There are two strokes that have crankcase oil, over head valves, and 2 stroke diesels as well. There are 2 strokes that have fuel injection, reeds, side valves and more. There is a new fuel injected 2 stroke from Evinrude that surpasses any performance and emission standards of any 4 stroke ever made. Period...So.. the point being.. It makes no sense to even postulate that an engine is being banned or singled out for being banned because of the number of strokes it employs. That is simply illogical. thanks...Enjoy the ride...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
you know it is time we laid this to rest I'm glad to see that someone isn't just buying into rumors on either side. Keep looking and in the absence of hard evidence send me one more of them thangs.

Can Harm Hen

Mar 1, 2008
Davis, California
Here's a news segment that recently ran in my area. Play the video on the right.

It doesn't specifically say that they're cracking down on 2-strokes, but the most interesting part is that California is actively doing something about regulating "dirty" motors. I guess our Governator got tired of picking scooter-ists out of his Hummer's grille.

Status
Not open for further replies.