I can't belive this

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Two Door and Silverbears brother both said that every good story in the military begins with "You won't believe this sh*t." This is the civilian version so I started it a bit differently.

First, I'd like to thank everyone for the kind words in the thread that Silverbear started and to thank Silverbear for starting it. It meant a lot to get home this afternoon and read them.

Now what happened? It started a month ago this coming Sunday just after talking to my son in New Hampshire. The odd part is the last thing we talked about was how he welded up a license plate holder for his 80 year old neighbour on his new to him motorcycle. He had to buy it because a Staph infection showed up in his replaced hip and now it was to hard to reach the rear brake and shifter on his old bike.
I said goodbye and walked about 15' into the kitchen and every step was more painful than the last until I couldn't put any weight on it. It felt like someone had hit both sides of my knee at the same time with a 2 pound hammer and then attacked it with ice picks.

Now the smart thing to do would have been to call the ambulance and head to the hospital but in true Fasteddy fashion I headed to bed, sure that it will pass. A good time to note that Fasteddy isn't always too swift. Twenty four hours later my brother's banging on the door asking what's wrong so I showed him my lower leg which is now about 50% larger than normal and my foot looks like the Good Year blimp with toes so it's one painful hobble and a bum scoot down the stair and hobble into the den to wait.
The hospital dumped some antibiotics into me and said come back tomorrow morning and we'll do it again. Ya, right.

Now the plot thickens. Tuesday morning comes around and I'm on the pull out sofa in the den and I can't move with the pain so it's call the ambulance again and three young ladies show up and drag me off to the hospital. I don't know how they got me into into it since none of them were more than 120 pounds and I was going to offer to get off but they did it.

This trip I'm lying there for a while in emergency and a doctor starts looking at it a lot closer than the first one did. Lots of going back and forth and looking and asking questions and then he tells me he is talking to an orthopedic surgeon and he is going to have to take a sample of the knee fluid.

Now I have absolutely no trouble telling you that I'm wildly needle phobic and I know just how that sample is coming out and with what. Sure enough here come the good Dr. Bunting with a tray and a nurse with a handful of sample vials.

Now it could be the angle that I was viewing all this or the panic attack that I was suffering but the needle that he was using to freeze my knee looked like 2' of drain pipe with a 10" rain gutter spike sticking out of the end and in and out it went.
Back into the tray it goes having done it's foul deed and then the doctor reaches into the tray and pull out a needle that very closely two oil barrels tied to a drive shaft out of a 1951 Ford and I have no place to run. In it goes and hits the metal in my replaced knee. After 4 tries he grabs the first needle and freezes the bottom of my knee and drives the sample needle home. Success.

Now he starts to pull back on the plunger and I can see what's coming out and it most certainly is not a clear or pinkish fluid. Just think Staph infection and let your mind go wild and you will have an idea what it looked like. I'm now toast.

The surgeon stops by and gives me the low down. They cut the knee open like it's a replacement surgery and flush it out, sterilize it and replace the nylon block that replaces the cartilage and stitch it up and start a vigorous antibiotic treatment.
Pretty close to a month later and here I am at the key board once again, in a wheel chair with a bag about the size of a fanny pack slung over my shoulder that contains a large bag of antibiotics and a pump that is powered by a 9V battery. There is a quiet whirr-whirr every few seconds to remind me it's there.

The pump is hooked up to what is called a P.I.C.C. Line. It starts under my upper arm and follows a blood vessel across my chest and into my heart where it places the antibiotic into the clamber where the blood pumps so it gets mixed instantly and sent on it's way. Nope, other than a poke to freeze the entry area I didn't feel a thing and it's not uncomfortable once your used to it. The 4' of hose is a bit of a pain and you soon learn to deal with that as well.

Then there is the question as to how all this started. A simple rash, well scratched and a common bacteria found on every ones skin got into my blood stream. It happens when you scratch or cut yourself but once it's in your blood stream it can't attach itself and it dies. That is unless you have an artificial joint and then it hooks onto the metal and nylon and most importantly with the gaps around the joint it has room to grow.

It was caught very early so just how long it will take is in the wind at the moment. The pump is only going until November 27 and I also take 4 antibiotic capsules a day for the same time. Then I guess they will see if it is gone.

If they don't beat it, it's go in again and replace the whole knee joint once more. The underside of the metal parts of the knee joint look like the moons surface so the leg bone can get a firm grip as it grows back in to hold it in place. I hate to think of how much damage there will be when they tear the metal off the bone to replace it.

Steve.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Re: I can't belive this sh*t

That's quite some ordeal you've been through Steve. I really do hope and pray that it won't come to replacing your articial knee joint and that the infection will be beaten.

You've been really missed here on the forum and it's great to read a post of yours again even if it isn't in the most ideal circumstances.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

Glad you made it back home and further that you get better without more intense stuff. A few spider bites on my neck a while back did not have any where the reaction that you had. I only spent 3 days on antibiotics and had adverse reaction to the stuff, but by that time my swelling had gone down.

Get well!

MT

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

Yes, good to see you are home.

I was just reading about this new coating they are working on for implants. It interferes with the "gel" the body makes around all foreign objects that bacteria like to hold onto. Yes, floating around in the blood they are easy prey for the immune system, but on a "gel" they can only be hit from one side with blood and flourish.

Do what the docs tell ya, keep the circulation up and have fun!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

Thank you. Given the look of my leg before they operated I half expected to wake up and it was gone despite the fact that the doctors thought it was going to be OK.

MT
Spider bites aren't child's play. One friend had his blood pressure sky rocket after a spider bite and it reacted with undiagnosed diabetes and he is now blind due to the pressure in his eyes and another friend lost his arm from the poison.

Glad you recovered from yours and healed well.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

Thank you dear lady. This shook me up pretty hard. I don't know just when I'll get back to the tri car but I'm going to say it will be a long while.

Steve.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

Staph is no joke. I had a baseball sized abscess in my thigh muscle from what started out like a pimple. Nearly lost my sh*t when the doc stuck it with a scalpel and squeezed!
Hope you heal up soon!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

manic57,
You got a close up view of what I saw in the needle. How that must have hurt when he squeezed but the relief was priceless.

Steve.

caduceus

Feb 4, 2009
Frostbite Falls, MN

Wow! I believe I'll try to keep all my joints intact! Welcome back anyway Steve, and what kind of motor are ya thinkin' about puttin' in the wheel chair then? I just ran across this picture about an hour ago, and reading your story here made me think of it so I went back & picked it up for you. Get better soon.
Woody

Attachments

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

manic57,
You got a close up view of what I saw in the needle. How that must have hurt when he squeezed but the relief was priceless.

Steve.
It was truly horrible and wonderful all at once.
Never want to do it again.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

Wow! I believe I'll try to keep all my joints intact! Welcome back anyway Steve, and what kind of motor are ya thinkin' about puttin' in the wheel chair then? I just ran across this picture about an hour ago, and reading your story here made me think of it so I went back & picked it up for you. Get better soon.
Woody
Here ya go!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Hey Bud!
I knew that one of these days I'd see a post from you and here it is. We've missed you around here. You have about 400,000 posts to read on threads you used to follow. Lots of good reading!

No, I suspect you won't be doing anything on the tri-car for some time. Heal up, we've got a cross country road trip to make next summer and some fishing at Basswood Lake.
Welcome home, Steve...
SB

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

Welcome back, Steve, glad to hear you're doing a little better. I'm glad the second doc took things more seriously than the first did.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

Thanks Woody,

That tank is a hoot. Great way to laugh at being wheel chair bound. Yes, hope you never have to have anything replaced but since mine were bone wearing into bone there wasn't any thing else to do.

Just the usual dilemma on the wheel chair. Should it be a China girl or a 4 stroke, front or rear engine, wheelie bar length, slicks or tread on the tires.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

Silverbear,

Hello sir. Haven't had a chance to email you but I will soon. So glad to be free of the hospital at last but the visits haven't stopped yet.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

CTripps,

Thank you. I'm glad he looked closer at it as well. The first doctor was young and I think she thought it was a bit of a hoax since there was just a swollen limb and no obvious problem.
Of course a Doctor friend of mind reminded me once that half the doctors practicing finished in the bottom half of their graduation class. He was one of the top 3 in his.

Steve.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Alright, enough sucking up on all this sympathy. Get well quick and back to work. :)

Steve, I talked to Char, my nurse wife and she was concerned that the docs instructed you well on maintaining your PICC line. She said the biggest problem is infection at the port and to never get it wet and to sanitize it well when changing the meds or dressing. She said for you to be very, very careful about that. (She's been a nurse for 40 years) I have faith in what she says. PICC= Peripheral Internal Central Catheter.

You know you've been in our thoughts old friend. Take good care of yourself.

Tom