timing problems please help

GoldenMotor.com

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I have a 48 cc sky hawk I developed a timing problem how can I fix it?I'm pretty sure its out of time. Thanks

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It's kind of hard for a SkyHawk to get out of timing. The magnito rotor is fixed on the crankshaft with a key. With the motor at TDC the keyway should be at about 2:00.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
well I thought that it's impossible but it's out of time for sure.Maybe when I installed the cen clutch and had the rope in the spark plug hole to tighten the clutch.That's the only way, that I think did it.I'm going to replace the magnet because I was going to see if key was aligned and took it off and I kinda buggered the magnet so I'm just wondering if that may help.I just want too make sure.I think it kinda moved a little because the key and the magnet came out together and it was hard to get off.Is there any certain way to putting it back on?

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Sometimes the slot in the magneto will have burrs .I have taken a small fine file and just cleaned up the opening . Make sure you clean up any metal filings off the magneto. Also the magneto can only go on one way or the timing will be off . Piston at top dead center key on crank should be at two o'clock.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
well I thought that it's impossible but it's out of time for sure.Maybe when I installed the cen clutch and had the rope in the spark plug hole to tighten the clutch.That's the only way, that I think did it.I'm going to replace the magnet because I was going to see if key was aligned and took it off and I kinda buggered the magnet so I'm just wondering if that may help.I just want too make sure.I think it kinda moved a little because the key and the magnet came out together and it was hard to get off.Is there any certain way to putting it back on?
It's virtually impossible to remove the magnet with the key and the key be any good. When installing a new key, my I suggest super glue on the key. This will keep the key in place and easier to install the magnet.

Magnet placement here....
http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Magnetto/

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Well I pull the magnet off and it was stubborn to come off and the key way came with it.So I wipe it off and glue the key back on shaft and let it dry for about 3or so hrs.Then I put the magnet back on and tighten it down and it worked like magic its back in time right.I like the way it starts now,I can put bike on kick stand pull the clutch in a kick about half turn on pedals and she starts.Thanks guys.I would of never known it was out time if it wasn't for you people.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
So just out of curiosity, how did taking the rotor off and putting it back on in the same position change anything?

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I posted some stuff on here and another site and 3 people said it's could be out of time and some one gave me that link so I tried fooling with the timing magnet and work.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I have a MM adjustable rotor. Mine is advanced about the width of the keyway, and runs better.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Hey guys,
I just gathered another motorized bicycles from a broke college kid.
Gonna give it to #2 who needs local transportation abt town.

The young fellow said there was a timing problem with the slant head motor.
He said the rotor is not indexed.
I never had a 66 slant head.

I'd really like to hear about that MM adjustable rotor... sounds like a valuable improvement.

Who is running one of those?
Do you like it a lot?
Did it make a significant improvement in your performance?

Tnx
rc

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hey guys,

I'd really like to hear about that MM adjustable rotor... sounds like a valuable improvement.

Who is running one of those?
Do you like it a lot?
Did it make a significant improvement in your performance?

Tnx
rc
I have one. I think it's worth it. My motor was a little lazy accelerating, compared to other motors just like it. After advancing the timing about the width of the key, it feels like I expected.

I think you could do the same thing with the stock rotor, especially for expermentation. Just remove the rotor, and take out the key. Then when you bolt the rotor back down use a star washer to lock it in place.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I have one. I think it's worth it. My motor was a little lazy accelerating, compared to other motors just like it. After advancing the timing about the width of the key, it feels like I expected.

I think you could do the same thing with the stock rotor, especially for expermentation. Just remove the rotor, and take out the key. Then when you bolt the rotor back down use a star washer to lock it in place.
I played around with it a little bit. Slightly retarded was suck. Slightly advanced was a little better than the stock position.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
OK
Tnx Biknut!

I shall do just that...
I'll fiddle around a bit and make up one of those offset keys, to advance the timing just a tad.

the 48cc I run has a way gud bottom end... too gud!
It will lug down to slower than walking speed when I try it on a hill that is just beyond it's ability. Undoubtedly NOT gud for the engine bearings!

That, and the combination of NOT having a real gud top end speed makes me pretty suspicious the timing could be improved.

I have been scouting for parts and pieces to build rohmells cdi replacement, but the parts just haven't come my way yet... That must also be a good way to improve ignition. Perhaps even better???
I dunno...
I can make an offset key fairly easy.

Tnx
rc

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I tried advancing (& retarding) the timing on one of my best bikes & really couldn't tell the difference... One thing that should be pointed out here is that air cooled engines need to have the timing WAY SLOWED DOWN or the engine will run too hot!
(Anyone who knows how to work on old VWs or Harleys knows this). ;)