Would this work?

GoldenMotor.com

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
I got looking at the build I am doing and tried to come up with something for a drive to the rear wheel other than the stock chain/sprocket using the gears and sprockets already on the bike.

I was thinking if the engine drive sprocket were on the right side of the engine, I could sling a chain to the pedal gear and that would drive the original bike chain to the rear cassette and I could shift like I was pedaling.

However I have not see a right side drive motor, so why not put all the original bike chain, sprockets on the left side? That way I think my idea would work. Somehow you could make it so the pedals do not turn while the engine is running... Or....take the pedals completly off?

So has anyone done this yet?... I'm terribly interested in this idea.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
In most places, if not all, you have to have the pedals on for it to remain a bicycle. Take the pedals off and you have to have insurance and a license plate.

Terry

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The SBP kits will do that for you and there have been lots of builds done as your thinking. Dig around. Lots of info and some incredible builds using the bikes gears. Think the Titan is right side drive but cuts into the room you would have to reduce the gearing. Lots of ways you can do this.

I am waiting for some one to come up with an automatic rear hub that could handle the torque! Well beyond me but man, that would be incredible.

Build some thing cool!

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
The SBP kits will do that for you and there have been lots of builds done as your thinking. Dig around. Lots of info and some incredible builds using the bikes gears. Think the Titan is right side drive but cuts into the room you would have to reduce the gearing. Lots of ways you can do this.

I am waiting for some one to come up with an automatic rear hub that could handle the torque! Well beyond me but man, that would be incredible.

Build some thing cool!
I saw the SBP kit, but why not just put the front chain ring on the left along with the sprocet and derailer. Two chain rings in the front and a short chain from engine to front chain ring and the rest of the drivetrain would be totally stock able to shift as you did without the engine.

My dad wants to get his up and running so I won't be experimenting with his.. However I will be coming up with something trick on mine lol...

I like the endless customization you can do.... very addictive.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"very addictive" Yeppers, they sure are.

The engine turns to fast to just hook up to the bicycle. Has to be slowed down before the drive wheel.