Hi! Can someone help me get started?!

GoldenMotor.com

targetdg15

May 22, 2010
Ames, Iowa
Hi, I live in Ames, Iowa and I am looking to start on building a moped pretty soon. I joined because I wanted advice and ideas about this kind of thing (Its new to me). First off, what kind of kit do you guys suggest? Im looking at a cruiser frame, does that work well? Anything would help, thanks!!!!!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I'm rather new myself, but I have to say: this forum has a wealth of information. If you've got some cash, I can say without a doubt that the best frame out there is probably a worksman. Schwinn cruisers are very good too, and easier to find used, yet with a good chance of still being very workable. My Micargi hasn't given me any trouble yet (but then, I greased the crap out of every moving part on it, and tightened every bolt whilst occassionally using locknuts). Many will say use a steel frame. If you want to try an aluminum frame, I would ask around on the forum first to see if anybody had trouble with it.

Best engine, by common concensus, seems to be the Grubee Skyhawk or Starfire. I hear a few good things about Raw now and then too, and Jet. And the vendors that advertise to the left and right here tend to be spoken of rather highly. Most of them, I believe, are also members here. You buy from them, you got problems, you go here and write, they write to you. Nice arrangement.

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm a newbie as well.

I ordered the skyhawk 66cc kit from Spookytoothcycles. Spooky tooth has been great, they do sell full kits including the bike starting at 450. I had to go cheap though, I got an old Schwinn Collegiate from craigslist for 15 dollars. I live in an urban area, lots of cars, but also lots of hills so I've found that the sidepull brakes on the collegiate are woefully inadequate. I'd recommend whatever bike you land on get one with good front and rear brakes, at least V brakes, maybe disc. Although beware of cheap disc brakes. A walmart schwinn cruiser with 7 speeds, and front and rear V brakes sounds like one good way to go for urban motorized use. I got the 2 in one brake lever so that both brakes can be pulled with your right hand leaving the clutch lever to your left hand.

I think no matter whose kit you order, if it is what folks round here call the Happy Time, or China Girl based kit be it Skyhawk, Starfire, Power king etc, there are going to be some questionable parts. The nuts and bolts are cheap. But at the very least, replace the nuts and bolts on the chain tensioner. It is a two buck fix that goes such a long way. Otherwise the stock bolts will strip, and you will not be able to tighten the tensioner so that it is safe. There are lots of threads on here about the tensioner. Many folks have custom fixes that look really smart. But you want that thing on your bike so solidly that you can't move with your hands no matter how hard you try. This will help with keeping the thing from coming loose and wrecking your spokes, or allowing the chain to derail. This is also assuming you align it correctly which is another top priority for safety's sake.

Also the carb gave me some grief for a little bit. It was a huge mystery to me how it worked but I just had to get comfortable with its guts and taking it apart. In my case the slide was stuck because I had tightened the carb onto the engine too much resulting in the thing contorting making the throttle stick. Just something to watch for if you get a 66 skyhawk kit.

Here's my ride so far but monday a springer fork with V brakes is arriving: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwr5RlxJ9i4

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Just to clarify, The Gru bee engines aren't any different than any other engine kit, except for the fancy stickers and hype.

Find a good seller (one from the margins of these very pages) and get one with good service after the sale.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
targetdg15,
There has been some very good advice given here, from everyone. Listen to these guys and don't hesitate to come back with any questions that you might have later. To reiterate what has been said; purchase from a reputable seller, one with a good reputation for after sale support. That is probably the most important thing to consider.
Good luck and we're here if you need further help with your project.
Tom