Where can I find GAS TANK BRACKET STRAPS

GoldenMotor.com

Goergedave

Oct 23, 2015
Texas
The stock straps don't fit. I will be using double sided tape as well. My top tube is about 3" from top to bottom. It is more of a blade than a round or oval tube. Suggestions?

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
At the big box hardware stores like Lowe's or Home Depot they sell small straps of aluminum in various sizes, sheet metal and whatnot.
Whenever I need a bit of metal and can't scrounge one out of the garage, they have something that will work.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The kit tank studs are 5mm X 1. Ace Hardware sells a part called 'rod couplings'. They are made for joining two sections of threaded rod. Buy four, thread them onto your tank studs then install the kit straps and use four 5mm screws into the bottom of the couplings. You'll need to determine the length of the screws after the tank is seated on the top tube and the straps are installed under the couplings.

Good luck.

Tom

Goergedave

Oct 23, 2015
Texas
The kit tank studs are 5mm X 1. Ace Hardware sells a part called 'rod couplings'. They are made for joining two sections of threaded rod. Buy four, thread them onto your tank studs then install the kit straps and use four 5mm screws into the bottom of the couplings. You'll need to determine the length of the screws after the tank is seated on the top tube and the straps are installed under the couplings.

Good luck.

Tom
Who's the man TOM? YOU da MAN! Thank you. dance1

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Who's the man TOM? YOU da MAN! Thank you. dance1
LOL, Thanks, George.
I've used this method on a couple of bikes with oversized top tubes. It works well. Your using double sided tape is also a very good idea. That way you don't need to overtighten the tank fasteners. They will suffice to hold the tank and the tape will help keep it where you want it.

Ive used a product made for seating auto window glass in the door channels. It's called, 'window setting tape' and any auto glass shop will have it. They'll probably give you a foot for free if you ask nice. It is about 1/8" thick and when wetted with a solvent like WD40, it becomes slippery but dries and becomes an adhesive that will hold the tank in place as well as offer some cushioning too. Hope this helps.

Tom

Goergedave

Oct 23, 2015
Texas
LOL, Thanks, George.
I've used this method on a couple of bikes with oversized top tubes. It works well. Your using double sided tape is also a very good idea. That way you don't need to overtighten the tank fasteners. They will suffice to hold the tank and the tape will help keep it where you want it.

Ive used a product made for seating auto window glass in the door channels. It's called, 'window setting tape' and any auto glass shop will have it. They'll probably give you a foot for free if you ask nice. It is about 1/8" thick and when wetted with a solvent like WD40, it becomes slippery but dries and becomes an adhesive that will hold the tank in place as well as offer some cushioning too. Hope this helps.

Tom
Oh, C'MON! Now you're just showing off!:) Does that tape offer an advantage over double sided tape?

Since your well is deep I have an off topic question. What would you use to thoroughly clean a chain prior to apply chain lube? My new bike is extra long so I connected a couple chains together that had already been shortened from prior builds and even more so I could have a length to act as a theft deterrent for those that would think my nice and cushiony quilted seat is a quick lick. Anyways I want it perfectly clean and slippery chain for my new build. Cleaner and lube brand suggestions are welcome.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I bought a sheet of 16 gauge sheet steel and used my jigsaw and drill to make my own brackets. Took me about 5 minutes. I also made a sleeve to protect my cables (which run on the top of my tube, which I only think is stupid now that I want to put the gas tank there) out of PVC pipe and hex bolts as spacers.