And away we go

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Hi everyone, I've been on this forum for years asking stupid questions and getting honest answers. Everyone here is MUCH more polite than on the moped forum. In the past I ran a bumble bee bolt on engine that I liked but chewed the living snot out of my tires. I rebuilt an old Sears friction drive which didn't have enough power to move my fat keister around. I got a great deal on a 77 puch maxi moped that I was able to take apart and put back together and get running pretty well. I could stop there and be content but I don't roll like that. I wanted to dance with the girl who was the reason why I showed up in the first place. I wanted to build me a china girl bike.
I have never been one to do things the easy way so I got a weird old bike a guy found in a barn in rural MO
It was rusty and crusty but it was weird and I am into weird

the next step was to strip her down and paint here green
I rattle canned her (don't judge)

I was afraid I would have a clearance issue but it seems ok. though there is pedal clearance problems I need to address
and here is the mock up. I have a long way to go until it is road worthy. Either I need a clam shell or a different rear wheel. I need to replace the crappy Chinese bolts and solve that pedal issue. Either a conversion to a 3 piece or a wider 1 peice. I haven't decided yet. Wish me luck because I am gonna need it (more updates when they come)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hi everyone, I've been on this forum for years asking stupid questions and getting honest answers. Everyone here is MUCH more polite than on the moped forum. In the past I ran a bumble bee bolt on engine that I liked but chewed the living snot out of my tires. I rebuilt an old Sears friction drive which didn't have enough power to move my fat keister around. I got a great deal on a 77 puch maxi moped that I was able to take apart and put back together and get running pretty well. I could stop there and be content but I don't roll like that. I wanted to dance with the girl who was the reason why I showed up in the first place. I wanted to build me a china girl bike.
I have never been one to do things the easy way so I got a weird old bike a guy found in a barn in rural MO
It was rusty and crusty but it was weird and I am into weird

the next step was to strip her down and paint here green
I rattle canned her (don't judge)

I was afraid I would have a clearance issue but it seems ok. though there is pedal clearance problems I need to address
and here is the mock up. I have a long way to go until it is road worthy. Either I need a clam shell or a different rear wheel. I need to replace the crappy Chinese bolts and solve that pedal issue. Either a conversion to a 3 piece or a wider 1 peice. I haven't decided yet. Wish me luck because I am gonna need it (more updates when they come)
looks great, wider one piece cranks work real well, just put a set on one of my bikes last week, gave enough clearance for using a pull start on the engine which is what I was hoping, it also allowed me to run the exhaust how I was wanting too.

I like wierd also and ill be watching this buildas well since I really like the frame.

I have a sorta unique old Western Flyer bike that reminds me a little of your bike, i plan to make a nice buid with it eventually.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
From what I can tell this is an AMF but the original tire said western flyer. And if I'm not mistaken there is a western flyer frame similar to this one. AMF may have made if for them. Another oddity about this bike: The wheels, which I don't know if they are original or not, say MO manufacturing co. Did murray make AMF wheels? This is more of a rat rod bikes forum question but it's interesting none the less.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You have a great start. Your "mock up" is looking fine.
I do question that tall seat tube/post however. Have to wonder why they made it sit so tall. I'd probably chop a few inches out of it and lower the seat, but that's just me. You need to build it your way and to make you happy.
Whatever you do it is an interesting project. My guess is that someone here will be able to identify the bike for you. Keep us informed on your progress and keep posting photos along the way.

Good luck and thanks for sharing your build with us.

Tom

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I know it looks weird with the nanner. The frame is kinda a mixtie frame. Here is a picture I found on the internets on how the bike would have originally looked like
I still may ditch the nanner and go with a springer seat. I can always go back.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
You have a great start. Your "mock up" is looking fine.
I do question that tall seat tube/post however. Have to wonder why they made it sit so tall. I'd probably chop a few inches out of it and lower the seat, but that's just me. You need to build it your way and to make you happy.
Whatever you do it is an interesting project. My guess is that someone here will be able to identify the bike for you. Keep us informed on your progress and keep posting photos along the way.

Good luck and thanks for sharing your build with us.

Tom
I was thinking the same thing Tom, about 5" off the post and then a nanner seat and some ape bars and some 26×2.125 balloon tires would make that frame look real nice.

Of course it will work fine like it is also, but that frame could have a sleek semi lowrider look real easy.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I like the frame, too. And think back to the 'stingrays' and such from the late sixties. Some of them had springs for the rear banana seat mounts.

That would be a very desirable accessory on an MB.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Nanner just wasn't doing it for me so I did this I think I will chop a few inches off the seat post to make it a little more like thisOrdered a wide crank so all I need now is to either get a clamshell or another wheel

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Looks good.....

chop that post a few inches and its gonna look even better in my opinion also, I really like that frame, wish I could find one like that also.

the western flyer stratoliner I have is similar and thats why I like it.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Permit me to elaborate- James, the guy who sold me the frame called me last week to see if I needed anything else. Well Der...I could spend hours giving money to him for all the weird and wonderful bike stuff in his basement, yard, garage, living room...ok, just about everywhere.
I told him I was looking for a 26 inch coaster brake wheel.
Boom! He digs up a Kin lin with 11 gauge spokes. He found it on a 1940's girls bike and it had been painted baby blue. I did some searching and found that kin lin rims are pretty darn good.
I can't wait .... the parts are almost all gathered.