3 front chainrings with SPB shift kit

GoldenMotor.com

BrandonG

Oct 31, 2012
Gainesville
Currently i have a SPB shift kit and an 8 speed rear cassette. Running a 44t stock setup is between my 4th and 5th gears for reference. Im wanting to add a smaller front chainring so I'll have 3, one driven by the jackshaft, and 2 to drive the rear cassette. I plan to use the new granny gear for offroading and when i pull a trailer, especially starts with the trailer.

I think I'm going to start without a derailleur and manually switch when needed. The clearance between the current chainring and frame will be close, but maybe i can move the old chainring outa bit.

Has anyone done this before?

Also, if I use the 2 chainrings from SBP is it ever possible to use a derailleur or would I need multispeed chainrings for that?

Last edited:

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I personally found that 11 to 34 on the back was more gears than I needed on my shift kit, and my motor wouldn't even push the 11 so I went back to a 14 to 34. I wasn't pulling a trailer though, still it seems unnecessary to me.
Infact on my Softtail I was running a 14 to 28 and that was plenty.

BrandonG

Oct 31, 2012
Gainesville
I ordered a 24t chairing and was able to put it on with some longer bolts through the chainrings. So for now i have to manually switch between them. Gear ratio in 1st and 1st is 38:1 and in 2nd and 8th its around 9:1. Now to figure out how to fit a derailleur...

Last edited: