Shift kit, rear adapter, or belt drive options...

GoldenMotor.com

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
Hey guys,

I wanted to get your feedback before I decide which option to go with. In my build (I still need to start a build thread), I am running Motomagz old bike which is a road master frame and a New lifan 98cc flathead. I have the SBP motor mount that he included that has the jackshaft behind the seat post. He ran a full shift kit to a 5 speed hub but kept some of his parts for his next build. My issue is that I have a worksman rear drum single speed wheel that I can't run a left side adapter on and buying the rest of the parts for the shift kit would still leave me with one gear.

Here are my options:
1. Sell the rear wheel I have and buy a coaster brake wheel, hub adapter, and 56t sprocket (~$200)
2. Buy a new 3 or 5 speed hub and new spokes ($120+LBS labor) and the rest parts for the shift kit (~$120). This would be the most expensive and I can't find any bike shop that will do this with 11g spokes.
3. Run a belt drive system like the whizzer- I'm the least familiar with this as I'm not sure about how I will attach the rear sheath and what size pulley and belt to use. I'm going for a BTR look so a belt drive would definitely look the coolest.

Is there another option I'm missing?

By the way, I have an 11t clutch, jackshaft, 17t and 9t sprockets already. Any feedback on what will be cost efficient and simple enough for me as this is my first build. Thanks!

Keith

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
I was leaning on finishing the shift kit and swapping hubs but my wife just had to go to part time which makes money even tighter. Leaning more toward selling my rear wheel and getting a husky coaster brake with 56t sprocket and adapter. Cheaper, more simple, and will get my bike on the road faster. Thoughts?

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
2. Buy a new 3 or 5 speed hub and new spokes ($120+LBS labor) and the rest parts for the shift kit (~$120). This would be the most expensive and I can't find any bike shop that will do this with 11g spokes.
I kept looking around at different bicycle shops and finally found one that would lace in my Sturmey Archer front brake/dynamo hub with 11 g spokes that they had to buy and lace. He charged me $90. You might check with a motorcycle shop, find the name of their wheel man and make a deal on the side.

Dan

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
I've checked with all of my local bike shops with little success. I don't feel comfortable doing it myself so I'm thinking I will buy the complete rear wheel and a hub adapter or rag joint to run a rear sprocket. I may eventually upgrade to a different hub if I find a motorcycle wheel builder to do it on the side.