Tachometer

GoldenMotor.com

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
Hi All,
Just wondering a bit now that I'm finally trusting my HT motor, and starting to cruise a bit faster.

I'm using a 44t BoyGoFast motor/sprocket...at about 25mph, I start getting vibration and the motor is turning pretty good. I have absolutely no idea how fast it's turning, nor what the recommended RPM range is on these motors.

So I'm thinking a tach would not be a terrible addition as long as it's not going to be a pain or a load of money to install.

So please, point me in the right direction here...or at least tell me I'm not going to turn my motor into an explosive device by going faster than 25mph. I know I can turn the throttle open a lot more, but it's not going to stop me from over-revving, right?

Thanks,
Mark

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
Re: Tach for HT 2-strokes?

Sweet! I'll get it.

Now...what IS the correct RPM range for the motor?

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA

Range? Don't know but people that have tachs usually say that around 6000 rpm they start sounding bad but that is usually due to poor balancing. Some can go as high as 7000 but even though I don't have a tach I would guess I keep mine under 5500 rpm. With my tuned pipe I would say my powerband is somewhere between 4500 and 6000 rpm. After you get your tach let us know what you engine likes.

MarkTur

May 23, 2008

Ghost - what rear sprocket are you using?
I just told my wife to get me the tach for Father's Day next week, so I'll let you know in a week or so. :)

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA

I have gears so what sprocket size do you want me to have. I can go between a 58t and a 27t in standard rear sprocket terms.

MarkTur

May 23, 2008

Well, I'm just trying to get an idea of what "should" be for stock setups.
Multiple gears, eh? Doesn't that turn it into a motorcycle? :)

Cool, though...how fast do you fly with it?

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA

My bike in 4th gear has a ratio of 4.36:1, about the same as a stock 44 tooth. 25mph is a good speed for that gear so I would guess that the motor is turning about 5500 rpm. Again I don't have a tack but I bet it is a pretty good guess. When you get yours let me know the rpm you are at using a 44t and 25mph.

Motorcycle? Depends on the laws I guess. You can check my bike out here.
http://motorbicycling.com/f15/ghost0s-mb-cruiser-903.html
Looks like a motorized bike to me. :)

Bikeman08

Jun 19, 2008
Has anybody ever installed a tachometer on there bike and if so where did you get it and for how much????? Was curious reading the online intructions for the engine i have not yet received but on it way (excited) tells me about the idle speed etc............ So how am I to know what the speed of the motor is.:D

Bikeman08

Jun 19, 2008
Re: Tach

Thanks for the heads up, could you reply back once you install it. I would love to hear about this.rotfl

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Re: Where can I find a Tachometer for my bike for cheap?

Where can I find a tachometer for these bikes for cheap?
Kmart, Target, Bike shops usually much better quallity and much higher price. just make sure you measure your wheel at a given psi! would hate to see another with inaccurate measurements being calulated.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona

google 'tiny-tach'
I understand they are cheap and reliable
make sure you get the one for your particular engine
2cycle and four fire differently (the tach reads the pulses from your plug-wire)

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Tiny Tach

I've had a commercial version of the Tiny Tach kicking around the shop for a few years now and seeing as how it's been raining all day here and I'm bored I thought I'd fab up a mount and get it hooked up on the bike.

Will be interesting to see the RPM reading at the Sunday driver speeds I putt around at...

Probably 1500-2000 rpm tops laff

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

google 'tiny-tach'
I understand they are cheap and reliable
make sure you get the one for your particular engine
2cycle and four fire differently (the tach reads the pulses from your plug-wire)

Thanks Bill. Was wondering how they worked