How do YOU go from a standstill?

GoldenMotor.com

how do you do it?

• Total voters

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I do the pedal/help her no matter which bike I ride. CVT, cen. or manual clutch. Just to be kind to mechanical parts. Is easier on every thing no matter what power transmission or plant you use or ride.

Funny story. Years back it was the popular conception that a ChinaGirl/HT could not take off via clutch alone. At a ride in CT, a member from here kept taking off with out pedaling. We were all dumbfounded. Later, here on the forum it became a topic of conversation and some one posted; (paraphrasing here) "It's a 10,000 mile clutch on a 1,000 mile life expectancy engine" Cracked me up.

But I do think I am the low end and do pedal at take off.

LOL @ ""What's a clutch?" (last option in the poll)

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh, I voted "I slip the clutch sensibly." Only after pedaling. I never "dump" the clutch unless on starting the engine.

jji7skyline

Jan 15, 2013
Australia
Oh, I voted "I slip the clutch sensibly." Only after pedaling. I never "dump" the clutch unless on starting the engine.
That's interesting! I release the clutch slowly when I'm starting the engine because my chain tends to jam inside the engine sprocket case if I don't.

Have you never had this problem? It's a pain to fix :/

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
No Skyline, never had the chain bind up like that.

Could your chain be to loose? Just asking

Last edited:

jji7skyline

Jan 15, 2013
Australia
Yea, it does tend to happen when my tensioner is not tightening the chain enough, but even when the chain is tight, it rarely happens.