A Warning to those looking in getting a Chinese engine kit

GoldenMotor.com

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I like the fact that they are sooooo funky and hit or miss quality sometimes you LIKE hacking up the mufflers and doing different things to "modify" them. You wouldn't do that with a Ferrari, know what I'm sayin'?
Good answer Joe, I love the fact that these kits are cheap and need a friend! I like all the modifications it takes to bring them up to speed. I do forget how tough it could be for some people though as I have done this type of work all my life, and have a machine shop to work on them in.
Keep up the good comments.......John

Rogwillsie

Oct 28, 2008
Seattle, WA
As I wrote here in another place, I have solved my chain/sprocket problem for the time being and am riding the bike with pleasure. But I did it on my own brain power and help from guys on this forum, despite the bad directions I received with the kit. Here is a statement in the instuctions re the installation of the sprocket: "Secure with 9 bolts compressing the chain sprocket to the spokes. Note: 2 rubber isolators may be needed on both sides of sprocket for chain alignment on some older ...." And, also: " The wheel chain sprocket is mounted with teeth-out and dish-in next to spokes." Unfortunately, I took these instructions literally and installed the sprocket next to the spokes, without the second fiber washer, with the teeth of the sprocket out. Ruined my wheel after a brief time of riding. Got a new wheel, went to this forum many times, reversed the sprocket and added the second fiber washer between the spokes and the sprocket, put spacers behind the motor mount, ditched the tensioner and it works. My advice: don't believe the instuctions. Mine were from Boygofast.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
As I wrote here in another place, I have solved my chain/sprocket problem for the time being and am riding the bike with pleasure. But I did it on my own brain power and help from guys on this forum, despite the bad directions I received with the kit. Here is a statement in the instuctions re the installation of the sprocket: "Secure with 9 bolts compressing the chain sprocket to the spokes. Note: 2 rubber isolators may be needed on both sides of sprocket for chain alignment on some older ...." And, also: " The wheel chain sprocket is mounted with teeth-out and dish-in next to spokes." Unfortunately, I took these instructions literally and installed the sprocket next to the spokes, without the second fiber washer, with the teeth of the sprocket out. Ruined my wheel after a brief time of riding. Got a new wheel, went to this forum many times, reversed the sprocket and added the second fiber washer between the spokes and the sprocket, put spacers behind the motor mount, ditched the tensioner and it works. My advice: don't believe the instuctions. Mine were from Boygofast.

Sometimes all it takes is a second opinion. I've had some cases where it took more and all were wrong. Then I had to resort to trial and error. Sorry to hear about your wheel. But at leaset your riding now.

Cr9ck

Sep 7, 2008
Thanks for your help so far. I need to get a new gasket for between the head and the bottom of the head and the base of the engine. I need to pick up some new studs too. Thanks everyone I will try to get this thing running when I am up to it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
After all that, I certainly understand your frustration and admire you for sticking with it. When you win, it will be a great feeling. A really cool side effect of surmounting the trials of MBs, you build confidence to launch into other things that build confidence to launch in to even larger things.
You will get it going, I have no doubt.

Just askin' could the clinkinking noise be the chain hitting the fender?

Cr9ck

Sep 7, 2008
no it has to do something with the piston. I only hear it when trying to turn over the motor and it first started occurring when I tightened down the head. I think the piston is hitting the head plate or the head gasket.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Mine drove me crazy just first trying to start it...and I'm a certified technician. Had spark fuel and compression. I tried for a few hours and it needed a new spark plug that's all. It's been a real great time since. I tinker with it all the time. I don't expect it to be a Mercedes and it never disappoints me.. and yes it is a noisy little engine, rrrrrmmmm click click click, just as I expect:bike2:

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
As for me the JB weld didn't hold on the stripped exhaust stud hole. I guess I am going to be buying a Helicoil kit tomorrow. I suppose it is time to fix this thing correctly. At least I won't need a hoist to pull the engine if I have to! :rolleyes:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
As for me the JB weld didn't hold on the stripped exhaust stud hole. I guess I am going to be buying a Helicoil kit tomorrow. I suppose it is time to fix this thing correctly. At least I won't need a hoist to pull the engine if I have to! :rolleyes:
Thats it! you can pull, fix and play with these lil sweet hearts in your kitchen. (and flight test them when needed)((just open the window))

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
these things are still super fun. and most kits work just fine! mine started and took off the first time i got on it and the gas had hardly gotten down the line!

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
I bought 2 kits for a friend and me from Handhelditems and there have been little to no problems at all. The only problems I had were leaky fuel valve (fixed with some teflon tape), the exhausts needed to be bent to allow free pedal travel, and one of the kits had a problem with the carb that went away after I took it apart and resembled it. I have no hands on experience with engines and few facilities at me disposal. My dads wood shop had all the tools I needed. After about 10 hours of work we were finished with both bikes. They have driven over 100 miles each with no problems.
If I left the bikes as is I'm sure they would continue to run fine, but like many have said already, half the fun is working on these things. So many upgrades are still to come.

Cr9ck

Sep 7, 2008
Im giving up on this. I need to start saving money and I just looked at my piston and it has a bend/crack in it. Maybe it was making the sound. Anyone interesting in purchasing my kit for parts?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Cr9ck,

I apologize for my wise-crack early on, but you will have to learn some basic mechanical skills in order to make this work! It's not the Plug-and-play installation that many advertizers claim!

I know: Most of the vendors will tell you, "In three hours you'll be done with the installation". This is a stretch of the truth to say the least!

These bikes are a lot of fun...I hate to see someone toss in the towel over one bad experience.

As joe said...you may have gotten a bad engine.

If you start over and ask questions prior to moving forward you'll have a much better experience with the whole thing. Expect to spend a few days getting the thing together properly. There are modifications that need to be made prior to even installing the kit!!!

There is no such thing as luck when it comes to mechanical things...just calculated results!

Jim