What material is the engine made of?

GoldenMotor.com

zobraman33

Feb 22, 2010
Africa
I've had a question for a long time which simply is What material is the engine made out of?? I'm sure its not aluminum since aluminum don't attract magnets and its not iron..Iron is very heavy.. So what do you guys think??

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
its aluminum, but its cheap poor grade castings. ive been trying to find out exactly what it is so i know the proper anodizing process to use on the case and head at work.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
iron and steel can not be combined with aluminum in any real amount. its probobly 3031 or some comparable grade cast aluminum. ive seen castings made from 6061-t6 aluminum have the same feel and apperience as our motors. you cant get a smooth surface with a casting very well

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Never tried a magnet on any of mine...however, they are aluminum with a nikasil liner, so maybe that's why you can get a magnet to stick to it.

Also, the crank and other various bits are steel, so the magnet may stick to them for that reason as well.

zobraman33

Feb 22, 2010
Africa
Thank you guys for your help...and i placed the magnet at the head not near anything metal..So from what you're saying its aluminum mixed with something else :)

multipaul

Mar 31, 2012
Germany
The cheapest and most used aluminum alloy contains 88% Al and 12% Si (Silizium). The Silizium is rather cheap and saves a lot of energy and time, because it reduces the melting point significantly.

Cu and Mg can be added. But I doubt. A spectral analysis would be fine.

Multipaul

multipaul

Mar 31, 2012
Germany
Thank you guys for your help...and i placed the magnet at the head not near anything metal..So from what you're saying its aluminum mixed with something else :)
I've just tried it out. Your bolts and nuts are made of steel. They are magnetic as well as the piston rings. The hard chrome isn't magnetic. The body of the cylinder also not.

Mulitpaul

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
It's pot metal. While the majority of it is aluminum, there could be literally any amount of other metals in there! Whatever they want to recycle probably gets chucked in.