Engine Fires In Reverse

GoldenMotor.com

NickDK

Aug 24, 2008
So, once you have your bike going 5-6 mph going forward, you pop the clutch and it starts. My question is: if you got your bike going 5-6 mph backwards would it start and run in reverse? Clearly a 4-stroke, for example a car motor, could not work this way, but could a 2-stroke? If not, why not? It seems to be an interesting topic of discussion to me, although may be obvious to some of you who are more knowledged on 2-stroke engines...

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
when I run mine backwards It plays the long version of Inna god of divida I think?!! Then I get the desire to trun the head and cylinder around backwards and run the bike forwards?!rotfl
Me and Rufus have got to lay off the catnip.rotfl
Norman

mralaska

Aug 16, 2008
Deerfield, NH
We usta bump start dirt bikes coasting backwards down a hill. Not all the bikes would run in reverse, some of them were pretty weak, but some of them seemed almost as strong as in forward. We had one guy who would jam through the gears spraying mud and gravel every time he shifted then take jumps at high speed in reverse.

I don't know how the spark is advanced on the china girls, but it seems the timing would be the limiting factor on how a motor runs in reverse. I don't know if you are stressing any bearings or anything. Let us know if it works!