Tubing Wall Thickness I.D???

GoldenMotor.com

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Was gonna see if anybody could answer this before I go chopping this old Schwinn up I have in the basement.

My calipers tell me the main tubes are 1" OD. Im getting ready to order some steel stock anybody have any idea what the wall thickness is on those?

Here are my choices...

1 OD x .058 wall x .884 ID
1 OD x .065 wall x .870 ID
1 OD x .120 wall x .760 ID
1 OD x .188 wall x .625 ID
1 OD x .156 wall x .688 ID
1 OD x .250 wall x .500 ID

I know this is a long shot so if I don't get a response I simply cut not and order steel later.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Was gonna see if anybody could answer this before I go chopping this old Schwinn up I have in the basement.

My calipers tell me the main tubes are 1" OD. Im getting ready to order some steel stock anybody have any idea what the wall thickness is on those?

Here are my choices...

1 OD x .058 wall x .884 ID
1 OD x .065 wall x .870 ID
1 OD x .120 wall x .760 ID
1 OD x .188 wall x .625 ID
1 OD x .156 wall x .688 ID
1 OD x .250 wall x .500 ID

I know this is a long shot so if I don't get a response I simply cut not and order steel later.
If you are simply going to use the stock for extra brace I'd go with .884. If you are going to extend the frame then I'd cut and order. If extending the frame, are you going to put a sleeve in the joints? If so then you need the correct wall and that would make a good fit. Just my thoughts!!!

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
If you are simply going to use the stock for extra brace I'd go with .884. If you are going to extend the frame then I'd cut and order. If extending the frame, are you going to put a sleeve in the joints? If so then you need the correct wall and that would make a good fit. Just my thoughts!!!
Great info! I hadn't thought about sleeving it. I figured I'd just extend the frame with the same size tubing. For ease of TIG welding the same size pipe is what I was interested in. I will slash and measure.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Mr Cory, I agree with what the other guys said. I have had good results inserting a piece of solid round stock and beveling the tubing before welding. I pretty much lines everything up for you the tack it and weld, not to mention added strength. The guys who are good welders don't need to do that but most of us need all the advantage we can get. Good Luck, Dan

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
You said it, good clean welds with the same size pipe don't need anything inside the pipe. I will bevel the edges though, I've welded pipe that handled way more pressure than these will withstand besides if one weld were to fail youve still got the bottom tube. But thanks for the advice guys. I'll post up some pics when complete.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
What I do is take a short piece of the same tube split it long way take out about 1/8" drill a couple of holes on each side for roseset welds. Slip the sleve in and leav a gap between for weld and weld away. The roseset weld and strength............Curt