"All Wheel Drive" Build

GoldenMotor.com

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
The concept is nothing new the internet is full of diy short wheel base recumbents that use this design. A few things I did and why:

-Used a 26 inch Huffy MTB frame so that the I have plenty of room for engine install.

-Used 20 inch wheels because they are cheap and abundant when your source of parts is freecycle and craigslist.

-Small cranks to minimize 'knee clearance' for handlebars and they serve more as foot pegs anyway.

-I am staying with the stock 44t sprocket on the 20 inch wheel, I weigh in at around 300 so I will have plenty of torque for where ever I go, and according to the gear calculator I should be able to do 20 mph at 6000 rpms, plenty of fast for what I want.

I still have to get the motor installed, but I did take the thing for a spin around the block. I think the design has promise for motorized applications, simple and easy to build. It sucks for regular bike riding. For obvious reason pedaling makes handling a little strange, but easy to get used to, but "power" pedaling is out of the question with my current seat, and it is makes staying straight near impossible. However when not pedaling it handles great, real comfortable to ride and just plain fun, so when I get the motor on it should be wicked fun. The front pedal design also makes crank width and muffler clearance a non issue, and I can see jack shaft and shift kits an easy task as chain ring freewheels become a non issue. Wider non china doll motors could be easily installed in frame with this idea as well

I'll post more info after I get the motor on it, but the frame and drive train concept is solid and promising. Sorry the pictures are a little rough, the sun went down before I could finish.

Attachments

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
I don't understand how one engine is going to power both wheels. Am I missing something?

Ooh, I think I get it. Front wheel drive is pedal only? I expected a twin engine. Now that would be fun.

Last edited:

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Yes pedal assist all wheel drive, the twin engine thing is in the back of my mind, I have a couple of weed eaters that may end up on a single bike.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I am using a front 20 inch front fork on the rear axle for a seat support for my home made seat. This also takes care of where to install the brakes on the rear wheel. No pics today, hopefully tomorrow I will get the seat on and engine installed.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Well its not the prettiest thing but a very cool Idea so far can't wai to see it come together. I am sur it will get better looking with time as do most builds.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Got the right seat on it today. This design would stink for any prolonged pedaling, with the new seat I can really get on the pedals but it did not improve performance, however the thing is super comfy to ride if you don't have to pedal. I also mocked up the tank and engine, looks pretty cool, but am biased.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Got the motor on and took the thing around the block today. The 44t on the 20 inch wheel makes bump starting super easy, don't even realy need the pedals to get going, but they make nice foot pegs, and I have to keep them so the po po won't bother me. I still have to put the brakes and a kill switch on, but those are just details. I welded a weedwhacker muffler on to the end of my muffler because it was laying around, but did not realy do anything as far as the sound goes. I have the clutch hooked up to a thumb shifter, with the pulley mod, works slick. I have to tighten up the front end, but the nice thing about the pedals being up front is the two drive trains are independant so messing around with pedals I won't have to worry about the rear wheel. Also I eliminated the dreaded tensioner on the motor chain which is nice.

Here are some pics. The bike is ugly, but lots of fun.

Eddie wanted my to post his build on line. Once I finish mine we will be putting a weed eater on his.

Attachments