Real vibration resolution...shaft drive.

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Nothin took the vibration out of a motorcycle like shaft drive...I have no idea how hard this would be to do on a MB but plenty of gearheads here to figure it out if it is plausable.
.spr.usflg

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Sorry,but that sounds crazy to put a shaft drive on a MB....I see absolutly no reason to do that to a little china girl engine with limited power....Keep brainstorming,you might come up with an idea I wouldnt mind doing....
John-John

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
well i dont know how realistic of an idea this is but you could get a driveshaft with u joints from steeling the steering shaft out of a car...they have a built in slip yoke and everything...you know i have never had any vibration problems....how well centered is your rear sproket???

Last edited:

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
going chainless does have it's advantages... but i'm still not convinced on it's durability and longevity...

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
I would think that it would be easier to try a toothed-belt drive first.

Also I would expect that most of the vibration comes from the (piston) engine itself, as electric-bicycles tend to use much lower-RPM motors, and those riders rarely ever complain about vibration issues.

(-come to think of it, my hands have gone numb some days while trimming the yard with a weedwacker.... and the weedwacker does use shaft drive.... It also uses a small, high-RPM engine as well-)
~

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
George belt drive doesnt do away with vibration from a motor on a m/c but gives it a smoother and quieter ride, a well tuned multicylinder m/c will purr like a kitten nowadays. The japanese cured that long ago. This doesnt apply to single cylinder motors however thats why they call them thumpers. In a single cylinder motor theres nothing to counter act the vibrations of the one cylinder......anyways changing a flat on a drive shaft m/c is one huge pain in the arse. Check out this belt driven trek bicycle.......Trek Bikes | Bikes | Urban | District

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Cool lookin bike...bit pricey. I never owned a motorcycle with shaft drive so I never knew the tire changing issue...good point. I had a single cylinder 650 suzuki boulevard. It was screamin fast for about a block or 2 but top end was about 70 had terrible vibration though.

tonycar

Nov 24, 2010
australia
G'day Have you checked your chain for stretch, make sure it touches all round the rear cog [with the left hand start from the bottom of the large cog with one finger holding the chain and with your right hand follow the chain around seating it into the cog it should be a snug fit any gaps or loose parts you may need a new chain] also If you have vibration problems try lead flushing sheets [the stuff you put around skylights on the roof] for shims or spacers around the frame and or SELLEYS knead it steel polymer repair system is excellent for uneven gaps or wedged gaps on the front support but remember to put tape around frame before applying then remove after it dries

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Try using a KMC-"Kool" chain.
The outside edge of the links that ride on the plastic wheel chain tensioner are flatter than standard chains this will smooth out the ride.
Pirate Cycles also offers a sprocket that replaces the wheel that will smooth out the Vibrations even more! Kip.
[email protected]

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Hmmmm, you still need to produce about 24:1 gearing, then adapt a shift kit to the pedals.

mmmmudd

Dec 31, 2010
california
I dunno, I always thought one of those heavy duty string trimmer motors would make a far out drive line choice. I had one, I think it was an Echo or a maybe a Stihl, it put out a lot of power for it's size and was amazingly well made. If you could engineer a gear box for it or run a sprocket onto the cutter head . . . I'm sure the bike would wear out Long before the motor gave out.

Just my two cents

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I checked the gearbox on my 4" angle grinder. The ratio is 4.5 to one. Coupled to the chinagirl with it.s 5-1 ratio, final ratio would be good.

Just need to find an adaptable 1-1 angle box to replace china's sprocket and mount the grinder box at rear with live axle mod.

Last edited: