plug wire types

GoldenMotor.com

ex-28

May 23, 2010
winnipeg, Manitoba
hi all i picked up some wire to replace my factory cdi wire , got the wire unscrewed but i have 2 different wires here , not sure what one to use.
hwen i stripe the rubber off them theres different material inside.
1st is black and has metal strands in it
2nd is red and has stringgy stuff in it , graphite maybe ?

wondering what is best to use , and does it matter then lenth i use ? , shorter better ?

thanks all ! , note this is just bulk wire i got from a car shop :)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Most any type of wire will work as long as you can get it screwed into the CDI & plug boot without damaging the core of the wire. (The graphite core wire can get pretty chewed up trying to install it.)

7mm copper core is the easiest to install!

& 'yes', shorter is better! ;)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
in theory, shorter is better, but i hide the CDI's under the motor and end up with a plug wire about 18" long, and my bike goes plenty fast.

i use a 7mm copper cored wire, it's like 75 cents a foot at my local auto parts shop.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Once the wire is in place in the CDI, I take a small amount of RTV and coat the wire and CDI nipple (where they meet). This keeps out water and holds the wire secure. If not, every time the plug end is removed (on short leads) it causes the CDI end to give.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Any good quality silicone based adhesive/sealant will work. It comes in various colors, white, black, silver, red, clear but black looks better. Heat shrink tubing won't do much for you. It won't hold anything tight enough to be water/vibration proof. It's good for wire splices but not for this purpose.
Tom