working brakelight

GoldenMotor.com

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
Hi guys and gals; I'm trying to put a working tailight and break light on my bike. I think I can work out the light itself but the switch to make the brake light work is stumping me. I need a switch that works off the brake leaver or the brake caliper (disk brakes). I can't seem to find anything that will work so I am appealing to the masses. Anybody have any ideas.scratg Thanks Bob Mac

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hope this picture explains an idea using a mini-micro switch. The bracket is just 18g sheet metal. The wiring is easy if you use the normally open contacts of the switch. Mini microswitches are available at most electronics supply warehouses.
Tom

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's very clever, Tom. I like it and it is far less expensive that a scooter or electric bike brake lever. Would Ace Hardware carry these or does it have to be as you say, an electronics warehouse? I see them on eBay, but of the type you have I would have to buy 50. They aren't very expensive, but still. While I expect to build a few more bikes, I wouldn't live long enough for 50 of 'em. Gives me a headache to think about it.
It would be a hundred miles for me to get to a big electronics supply house, so mail order is probably my best bet. Who came up with this idea? Hat's off to whoever it was. If I bought 50 I'd have to sell some of them off on the forum. I can see where it would need to be a roller type and not just a lever.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That's very clever, Tom. I like it and it is far less expensive that a scooter or electric bike brake lever. Would Ace Hardware carry these or does it have to be as you say, an electronics warehouse? I see them on eBay, but of the type you have I would have to buy 50. They aren't very expensive, but still. While I expect to build a few more bikes, I wouldn't live long enough for 50 of 'em. Gives me a headache to think about it.
It would be a hundred miles for me to get to a big electronics supply house, so mail order is probably my best bet. Who came up with this idea? Hat's off to whoever it was. If I bought 50 I'd have to sell some of them off on the forum. I can see where it would need to be a roller type and not just a lever.
SB
SB,
PM me with your address. I'll send you one.
Tom

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
Hi guys and gals; I'm trying to put a working tailight and break light on my bike. I think I can work out the light itself but the switch to make the brake light work is stumping me. I need a switch that works off the brake leaver or the brake caliper (disk brakes). I can't seem to find anything that will work so I am appealing to the masses. Anybody have any ideas.scratg Thanks Bob Mac
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going the micro switch route. I have disk brakes with the dual pull lever so it looks like the lever option is in. Now I just have to find a junk microwave.(c)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
There are useually two in old non working microwaves on the door safty
Gene,
Where would these typically be located... inside the door? Dang, I just took one to the dump a couple weeks ago. I saw a bunch of different mini micro switches on ebay, but very few with the roller which seems like the best type for this application. Thanks again there 2door!
SB